My new Yz450 F throws out coolant is this normal ?

5 replies to this topic
  • kekoo

Posted August 03, 2005 - 08:55 AM

My new YZ450F throws out coolant if I let the bike idle for about a minute. Is this a normal thing or do I need to check up the bike. I've ridden the bike for about 20 minutes just running it in. Do I need to change the oil ? Dumb ass questions but I'm all alone in India without any MX help. will appreciate any help.

• AWDnot2

Posted August 03, 2005 - 09:09 AM

I run Engine Ice in mine, it helps. I know you're not supposed to let them sit and idle.

• MotoGoalie

Posted August 03, 2005 - 09:13 AM

It's normal. They run hot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoCalYZF

Posted August 03, 2005 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, just don't let it sit very long and remember to replace the fluid that you lost.

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2005 - 05:34 PM

Your bike is like a shark. It needs to keep moving. Depending on the weather, it's normal to blow coolant after much over a minute of just idling unless you're sitting facing into a good breeze and tweak the throttle every now and then. Change the oil in between the first and second hour. Filter too. Then again in five, and every ten after that. Do the frame oil screen inspection only once, at the first or second oil change. After that, once a season, or if anything major gets done to the engine.

• mxaction

Posted August 03, 2005 - 06:18 PM

If your bike ins't getting any airflow over it, and you let it sit and idle for any length of time coolant will boil out of it unless you give the throttle a few blips. This is normal, but dont forget to replace the lost coolant before you go riding.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.