Oil plug is leaking help!

10 replies to this topic
  • Conan_'dale

Posted August 03, 2005 - 07:59 AM

I changed my oil and replaced the copper washer. It appears the previous owner had some problems with the lower drain plug dripping and or stripped it because he put some silicone on a rubber washer and plug to keep it from leaking, I can't get the plug to tighten. :D

Now that my plug is stripped (bottom of case) has anyone dealt with this problem? What did you do to fix it? I was thinking of a self tapping drain plug or a "repair kit" of some kind.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 03, 2005 - 08:16 AM

I stripped out the drain plug threads on my 01. It's actually pretty common. I agree with you, it does sound like the previous owner had some problems with it... I installed a Heli-coil kit in mine, the only problem was I had to use a fiber seal from a YZ drain plug to get it to stop leaking after I installed the kit. Those Helicoil kits are real nice and work great, the stainless steel threads are very strong. You've got to drill out the old threads first (do not drill too far, you can damage the case internals) needless to say you must clean out the engine to get all the shavings out. Installing the new theads is a piece of cake. The kit was crazy expensive, like 50 bucks for the kit because it's a larger size metric kit not found at all hardware stores. There are some old threads on this, there's some good info if you could find it, I remember talking about this a couple of years ago..

Dan

• Conan_'dale

Posted August 03, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Dan!

Do you remember where you got the helicoil kit? :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 03, 2005 - 11:10 AM

Why yes I do.....

I purchased the kit from these guys: http://www.metricspe...s.com/index.asp

Recoil makes the kit.
part# 37120
size: M12-1.5
Drill:12.25mm 31/64

Do some surfing for the kit.. If it's crazy expensive I could let you borrow my kit..

Dan :D

• Conan_'dale

Posted August 03, 2005 - 11:35 AM

Why yes I do.....

I purchased the kit from these guys: http://www.metricspe...s.com/index.asp

Recoil makes the kit.
part# 37120
size: M12-1.5
Drill:12.25mm 31/64

Do some surfing for the kit.. If it's crazy expensive I could let you borrow my kit..

Dan :D

Thanks my friend, you have been a big help. :D I'll look into the prices and get back with you. I would like to hook you up with some parts or something if I take you up on your offer. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kirkw

Posted August 03, 2005 - 11:56 AM

Don't know if this may help, but the previous owner of mine had buggered the bottom part of the threads. The tops were in better shape. By going to a Zip-ty mag. drain plug, which looks about 3 thread longer than stock, I can get enough threads to make a tight seal. After a couple of years and many oil changes so far so good.

• bg10459

Posted August 03, 2005 - 01:39 PM

Check out an industrial tool supply house rather than a hardware store. It's more likely they will have it and it should be a lot less than $50. You can also make the installation tool out of a bolt with the same thread as the original, just gring the notch in the tip. That way you would only need the helicoil, the helicoil tap and the tap drill.

• joshb

Posted August 03, 2005 - 01:56 PM

I did this to the oil filter cover on my bike. I couldn't get the screw to tighten then when I pulled it out there was a bunch of threads on my screw. What I did was went to shucks and bought the bolt for like .25 cents and it went in there tight! Try that first before you go spend money, you may just need a new bolt.

• farkawi

Posted August 03, 2005 - 04:09 PM

Once you've gone thru the re-threading ordeal, I recommend you drill and lockwire the two bottom plugs together. Use a stubby ratchet or wrench to tighten the plugs and let the lockwire be your "security blanket"

• 5spoke

Posted August 05, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Instead of the M12 expensive metric kit, go for a 1/2" standard, should be cheaper.

• mjslim

Posted August 05, 2005 - 09:03 PM

For those out there who haven't stripped their drain bolts, you can order reusable pressure sealing washers from McMaster-Carr to replace your thrashed copper ones. They come in several metric sizes - I replaced both the large and small ones and they work great. Go to McMaster.com and type in "Metric Pressure-Sealing Washer" in the "Find" field. Scroll down to the third table and you'll see them offered in sizes from M5-M16. They come in bags of 5-10 so you'll have a lifetime supply.:D

(Probably won't work with the helicoil though, as you will not have enough sealing surface left after tapping the hole for the insert)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.