Acerbis Tank Installed (Photos)

20 replies to this topic
  • Michael

Posted March 10, 2001 - 09:56 PM

Okay, I installed the Acerbis tank last week and said I'd post a pic or two.....so here what it looks like from the left side:

http://albums.photop...uence=0&res=med

Closer look same side

This shot shows the opening to reach the choke and hot start - access to the choke is somewhat restricted - but not too bad

Here is the right side

This is the trick machined inlet that can be changed over to a dry-break

Overall the fit and finish is excellent! Tomorrow I ride the thing :)

• Powerband

Posted March 11, 2001 - 07:23 AM

Thanks a lot for the pictures. I am looking for a new tank and seat and was wondering how an Acerbis would look. Please indicate how you like it after your ride.

• Clark_Mason

Posted March 11, 2001 - 07:30 AM

How much gas does it hold and is it narrow at the tank/seat juction? Does it interfer at all with riding position when standing?

Clark

• Michael

Posted March 11, 2001 - 05:22 PM

I don't know how this would compare to a competing aftermarket tank.....but the change from stock WR is WONDERFUL! The tank is advertised as 3.2 gal, and that seems about right. I've added a pic that shows the tank seat junction better - but the tank is not much wider than the seat at the junction, it does get alittle wider up near the cap but I never noticed that when riding. I could easily move up to the tip of the seat and not feel like I was sitting on a barrel - in fact - I think my knee was getting forced out be the raditor shrouds I was so far forward. The WR handles much better when you get your weight out over the front tire (even as slow as I go).

Interference when standing - I didn't know the tank was there when standing - none at all.

The only thing that I worry about with this tank is the extension above the front of the seat around/under the cap - I just know what part of my body is going to contact that someday :)

I haven't tried to check the oil level yet - I'll let you know how that works out.

Here is a picture that shows the seat/tank junction better.....if you want a better shot....let me know.

• Vincent

Posted March 11, 2001 - 06:48 PM

I have the Acerbis tank too...it's held up great. The fit/finish is fantastic, no complaints at all.

I dont even feel it when Im riding. Last weekend when racing a fast kid around the motocross track, I would come flying up to the berm, slide my butt forward all the way up to the tank and shazam!!! The bike cornered like it was on a rail.

I was really impressed with the difference in handling with this tank...I'd reccomend it to anyone.

• jj

Posted March 12, 2001 - 08:43 AM

Its sad, but the first thing I noticed in this picture was the Dillon in the background!

:)

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• Michael

Posted March 12, 2001 - 09:33 AM

JJ - When I first looked at the picture, I noticed my darline bride (of course :) )! Good call on the Dillon (a model 650 BTW) I wondered how many would pick that out....

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 03-12-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 12, 2001 - 09:36 AM

I hope this doesn't make me an outcast but, What's a Dillon?

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 12, 2001 - 10:09 PM

If I"m not mistaken - it's a reloader for gun ammo.

Brian

• Michael

Posted March 12, 2001 - 10:34 PM

Sorry sirhk100 - I don't think people are ever "outcasts" for what they don't know - only for what you do (too deep and too OT a thought?? - maybe).

Brian has it correct - the blue thing that looks like a funnel in the air on top of my cluttered bench is a Dillon (brand name) 650 reloader. I use it to reload handgun ammo for target shooting. Since I shoot 250 to 500 rounds (mostly 45 ACP) each trip to the range, and I can reload the brass for about $.07/round (compared to $.25 to $.30/round to buy), I can afford to shoot and buy parts for my WR. At least that's what I tell my wife :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 12, 2001 - 10:43 PM

That's what I thought you guys were talking about. I'm not too into guns but I have nothing against them in the right persons hand. An old neighbor used to be an avid hunter and he had something similar to that. I was much younger then a don't really remember a lot about it. Your bike looks really good. I usually don't like the looks of the large tanks on bikes but yours looks really good.

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• jj

Posted March 12, 2001 - 08:49 PM

Hey Micheal, If my Dillon wasn't BLUE I wouldn't own it :D :D :) :D :D

Hey, I was wondering why you didn't choose the triple clamp mounts for your Cyrca guards?

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• Michael

Posted March 12, 2001 - 10:31 PM

I thought about the TC mounts - but I decided that the bar mounts were more flexible if I cut the length of my bars down, and I liked the degrees of freedom offered by the bar clamps. I'm not sure those were good reasons - cause the bar clamps do jam more things onto the bars - but that was my call. Oh well.....

Did you go with the TC mounts?

• jj

Posted March 13, 2001 - 08:24 AM

No, I've got Acerbis Pro Rallys mounted up, hate em!

I've got a friend that has ordered the Cyrca Pro Bend w/ the triple clamp mounts, he's the guinea pig...

I sure like the idea.

------------------

• StuZ

Posted March 13, 2001 - 12:20 PM

Is that the stock WR seat on there?

• Michael

Posted March 13, 2001 - 01:24 PM

No, that is a recovered stock YZ seat.

JJ - Let us know how the TC mounts work out!

• WR400inOZ

Posted March 13, 2001 - 08:04 PM

Okay, I'm going to ask the probably silly question here.. whats that bronzey/gold thing on your handlebars? Or what can you tell me about those handlebars?

• SFO

Posted March 13, 2001 - 08:11 PM

scotts steering dampener...
The gold thingy be

• Michael

Posted March 13, 2001 - 09:33 PM

Do a search on "Scott" and you'll find more reading than you can stand. These dampers are very nice....

The bars are Pro Taper CR High bend. they are oversized and required a new upper triple clamp - but they are very strong (and no cross bar). Mine are silver, but they also come in gold........I think that's all I know (not that that usually stops me :)).

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 14, 2001 - 07:54 AM

Michael- Can you use the stock gas cap. On their website, they sell the tank with or without a cap. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.