05 WR450F Zip Ty And JD questions

6 replies to this topic
  • 4strokecowboy

Posted August 02, 2005 - 11:08 AM

My dealer removed grey wire, removed air box inlet, muffler plug removed, did YZ throttle stop mod, and put in a #65 pilot jet. The large pilot jet was so the stock jet wouldn't have to be turned out too far that it might come out. Is this right? He said the main jet was fine. I have read up on as much as I can on jetting and still have questions.

What is a Zip Ty jet and where can I get one?

What is a JD jet and where do I get one?

Is there a kit that has all I need?

At slightly above sea level and hot temps, what kit is best?

I don't think my dealer wanted to spend much time tuning it because I talked them into all they did as part of the deal.

Have any of you guys added an oil cooler to increase oil capacity and keep engine cooler? What brand?....thanks

• vantolr

Posted August 02, 2005 - 11:34 AM

You need to go here for some good reading:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/

• Jah WR

Posted August 02, 2005 - 11:39 AM

A #65 pilot jet seems odd to me. Are you sure you are talking about the pilot jet?? It is true that you can resize the pilot jet to keep the fuel screw with-in a given number of turns out from full in. You have uncorked your bike so it is definately breathing better. The Zip Ty is an easy to adjust aftermarket fuel screw with a knurled knob. The fuel screw and pilot jet work together to control the mix in lower end of throttle range. The JD kit basically addresses needle size (for mid throttle range) and main jet for mid to upper throttle range.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted August 02, 2005 - 12:56 PM

A #65 pilot jet is huge. most guys are using between 45 and 50. That's probably the starter jet.
JD kits and the Zip Ty screw are available in the TT store, but it only comes with the main jets, needles and clips. You'll also need some pilot jets, starter jets and leak jets, and maybe pilot air jets and main air jets, depending on how far into it you want to get. Get them at Sudco.com. I'd buy at least one jet (pilot, starter and leak) on either side of the combo you decide you want to use. For instance, if the D-base says to use a 48 pilot, I'd buy a 45 and a 50 as well. For the leak jets, I'd start with a 40 and a 50 since your stock one is probably a 70, and for the starter, I'd get a 70 and a 72 in addition to the 65 (???) that is there. Definitely do some research first, find out what you have before going out and buying jets all willy nilly. :D
Check the jetting database for some recommendations too. Indy did a great job detailing the jetting for almost every conceivable scenario.

• mtrablue

Posted August 02, 2005 - 03:48 PM

small steps cowboy. don't go changing all your jets at once or you won't know how the bike is being affected and what to change to fix it. first off, have you done anything with the air pump stuff? it tends to make the bike lean on the bottom. go with a 48 pilot jet, a 65 pilot is way too big. read up on the pilot fuel scew. (the zip/ty screw) you will have to remove a small cap on the bottom of the carb to get to it. i'm not a big fan of the zip/ty product. it's aluminum and can be damaged easaly. scotts makes a good one out of brass. if your in texas in august, don't bother with the bigger starter jet. just twist the throttle a few times before you try to start the bike.

• bg10459

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:37 PM

Unfortunately I don't write everything I think because I already know what I'm thinking, not what someone else needs to know.:D :D .
Anyway, my suggestion is (and this is what I did) figure out exactly what all jets in your carb are before you start anything. Call this "baseline" and keep a log of it, along with a description of how the bike runs. Make whatever changes you like and keep a log of them as well. Yes, fewer is better because it will be easier to identify which changes cause good or bad results. However, in my opinion it is OK to jump straight to a D-base recommendation for your riding conditions because lots of guys have good results with them and you may strike gold on the 1st try. If not, go back to square one and start over taking small steps.
My suggestion to buy lots of jets before starting is so you're well prepared for the jetting experience. It sucks when you need to make another change and then have to order the appropriate jet. Plus, when you're jetting for the different seasons / altitudes, you'll have what you need. If you have everything you should be able to nail it in 1 or 2 days. It took me about a dozen test rides / changes before I had it.

Now, someone please feel free to jump all over me because I certainly don't know everything :D

• 4strokecowboy

Posted August 03, 2005 - 04:43 AM

Thanks to all for the info. I love to tinker with my bikes. With three teanage girls and a wife in the house, my garage is my "cave" as my wife likes to say. So all the play in figuring out the best tune for me will be enjoyable in deed. Yesterday I rode an area of the ranch with lots of gullys and such trying to visualize a good route for a sweeping MX type track. Second gear 1/4 throttle seemed to be working very well. I will gather some jets and kits and start the process. Who knows, I may never see a difference, but I will have fun getting there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.