2007 XR650L redesign planned?

36 replies to this topic
  • miguelitro

Posted August 04, 2005 - 02:12 PM

Impossible here in CA to get it plated.
but the L wont work for me, i ride and race too much for all the extra weight and not even water cooled, not L bashing just stating my situation
Mike

• Jayzonk

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:49 AM

Dude, if they are revamping it, I'd try to get an '06!! If the new model is really really different, you might be riding around on something that might have some value as an antique in the future!! I've got an '05 and will never part with it. I don't care WHAT comes around that is better. This is a great bike, and one of the great things about it is that you can do a lot of the service to it yourself, and learn a little basic mechanics while you're at it. Besides, I wouldn't assume that they're coming out with something in the same price range. Looking at BMW and KTM, Honda might decide to make the L a bike in the $9 to $10K range, as opposed to its current low price. Skip the revamp, don't worry about a few bucks on resale. Just go for it!! You'll love it, and you'll be part of the club!! And part of an era!!

• Jayzonk

Posted August 06, 2005 - 12:28 PM

I just looked at the Honda website. The XR's are the only bikes badged at 2006, so I think that's a pretty good indication that there'll be a new bike in '07. Whaddya think?

• superflymx

Posted August 21, 2005 - 06:27 AM

I hope they never change the XR650L. Why Change something that has proven it self for years. I think the XR650L is Honda's Best way to see the best of both worlds. I have had 4 XR650L Just got a 2005 the only reason is my friends road my old ones and wanted to buy them thats how good they are.I have never had any problem with any one of them.

• superflymx

Posted August 21, 2005 - 06:43 AM

I hope they never change the XR650L. Why Change something that has proven it self for years. I think the XR650L is Honda's Best way to see the best of both worlds. I have had 4 XR650L Just got a 2005 the only reason is my friends road my old ones and wanted to buy them thats how good they are.I have never had any problem with any one of them.

• Supplicate

Posted August 21, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Has anyone converted a XR650R over to a street-legal bike?

lots of people have plated their R's.

Only reason I haven't is with the new pipe its too loud, that and in Wyoming they don't really bother you so long as you aren't on the pavement too much (at least they haven't bothered me anyway).

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 21, 2005 - 10:10 AM

the l is just perfect how it is plus a couple thousand in am parts.......but u just cant beat the price and the function and the fact that the dam things last for ever!!!!

• GIANTac1

Posted August 21, 2005 - 05:09 PM

I dont know about riushing out and buying a revamped '07 crfl or whatever. Honda pretty much has a good thing going right now with the L. I would wait a few years before purchasing a new model just to see the flaws and short comings of the bike, or lack of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • truck6driver

Posted August 21, 2005 - 06:23 PM

I will not buy a new XR650L until they make improvements. Why buy a new bike that I already have. I have made all the mods to the one I have and would have to make them on the new one. I think the bike is a great ride and has shown it's dependablity time and time again. BUT it can be improved upon. The biggest thing I would like to see is a 6th gear, but until they make a new one I will keep mine until the frame rots.

RH
94' XR650L

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 22, 2005 - 09:06 AM

Honda has always set the standard when it comes to technology. And sometimes this standard gets in their way. Why change? Some day, some year when they don't sell as many units we could see something different.

Same goes for the 400EX. Honda added reverse for '05 and the 300EX had it since very early on.

Here's my list of changes (for 2010): stronger frame, better suspension, closer ratio gearing or a 6th gear as mentioned, water-cooled motor with more HP, & a larger stock tank. I'm sure there are a host of others but this would be good start.

But in reality the L is like an SUV in the automotive sector. Maybe less than 5% really every see dirt, let alone single track or the desert. So changes are few and far between for the L. Heaven forbid they make a bike that can do both well with little or no design compromises. That would be unheard of...in the US that is.

• sgifford

Posted August 22, 2005 - 09:55 AM

"Maybe less than 5% really every see dirt, let alone single track or the desert."

I wonder to what extent that it true? I ride my L on all kinds of serious single-track. I laugh when I hear people saying you can't do that. I know there are many lighter/faster bikes on trails (like my former KTM 520), but the 'L' has the biggest fun-factor for me, so that what I ride!

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 22, 2005 - 12:22 PM

"Maybe less than 5% really every see dirt, let alone single track or the desert."

I know there are many lighter/faster bikes on trails (like my former KTM 520), but the 'L' has the biggest fun-factor for me, so that what I ride!

Exactly! I've Preran about 125 miles of the Baja 500, dualsported 240 miles going from the Tecate border to Rancho Santa Veronica and back and ridden tight single track all over San Diego County. Some of these rides were grueling and they really kicked my butt due to the heaviness of the XRL.

One thing's for sure I was confident the L was going to get me there and back especially down in Mex, albeit not at breakneck racing speeds, but damn fast enough. It's why I still have it today and have no plans of letting it go anytime soon. Hell, I have fun just wiping the chain lube off of the back rim and fender to keep that machine nice & clean. :D

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 22, 2005 - 12:39 PM

I don't like to rain on the parade here because I am a Honda fan. I would own an L model if the right deal came along. But every review I have ever read that placed the L against the KLR and DR placed the L second to the KLR. The L always wins hands down on the single track but when all the smoke clears the riders choose the KLR as best all around. To top it off the KLR is cheaper.

I have never owned any of these bikes. I do own the XR650R and love it. I wish I could get it dual sported. In my opinion it would win hands down in all catagories if it were dual sported.

Just another opinion guys so don't tie your shorts in a knot.

• onaXR

Posted August 22, 2005 - 01:53 PM

Not tieing my shorts in a knot, But the KRL always wins when factors like "oh the seat is wider and not as high as the XR" are added up..
I ride with a buddy who has the KRL honestly the XR spanks the KRL everywhere BUT when we pull over I do feel the numb butt and he dont.

• Chooch

Posted August 22, 2005 - 02:13 PM

I love my L! Would I like to see a lighter and more powerful bike right out of the crate? You bet...When it does happen, it'll prolly be a "streetized" CRF450X...I'll put down the green for one when they finally iron out all the wrinkles with that engine...hearing bad stuff!

I compare this scenario to that of my truck, a Ford PSD 7.3 liter. The 6.0 is faster, more power, lighter blah blah blah...what it is not, is a proven winner in reliability like the 7.3. When you ask a smaller motor to do more...well, somethin' has got to give.

I'll buy the new L or whatever it may be called, when I know its right...just like the Ford diesels! 'till the the 7.3 and my L are my two favorite things.

• HC

Posted August 26, 2005 - 10:42 PM

well, the L will go away. honda will have to sell the 7 million they have stockpiled in another country, how do i know this......drum roll...... air pollution laws. unless they put a cat converter ,even thats not going to keep it off the block, thats why the R is around. not what MC riders think, we really dont matter, its goin' be the man, grindin' his boot on yer dream....'cuse me while i reload...

• danbart

Posted August 27, 2005 - 08:54 AM

The best deal would be for Honda to turn the current XR650R into the new L model, w/ an easily unpluggable setup and come out w/ an all new more competitive XR650R.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.