Back in the dirt after 20 years with 05 WR450

20 replies to this topic
  • 4strokecowboy

Posted August 02, 2005 - 06:07 AM

Hi all

I just picked up a brand new 05 WR450 yesterday. Got it home and rode about 6 miles. Lots of fun. I live on a large ranch and am going to lay out a cross country route. Anyone live around the Ft Worth, TX area?

• Jah WR

Posted August 02, 2005 - 07:09 AM

Same deal here, just purchased a new 2005 after 20 years away from riding. There is alot of information on site that will help you increase the performance of your bike for little or no cost. Enjoy

• Orangeman64

Posted August 02, 2005 - 08:04 AM

I picked up a 77 DT400 back in November, 1st time in the dirt in about 20 yrs myself, 2 months later I went out and bought a 2000 YZ250(needed more power), it was stolen in Feb so I went and bought a 2003 WR450. I am so hooked. I have a 2001 1600 Roadstar that I have only ridden once since I got back in the dirt. I had forgotten how much fun it was to ride off road, thought maybe I was getting too old for it but I'm having a blast. I had many mini bikes as a kid and was on a 250 kawasaki when I got out of high school (long time ago), I'm not giving it up this time until I'm too old to get on it.

• TBone_Boston

Posted August 02, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Me too! Just bought a new '05 wr450 exactly one month ago. I'm having a blast with it. If it weren't for the sore muscles I'd swear I was 18 again!

Tony

• byggd

Posted August 02, 2005 - 08:19 AM

I've been away from riding for a while myself and got back into it a couple years ago. Started out with a KLR250 and then got my wr426 this year. Thought maybe I was too old at 42 but reading the TT pole the averange age is 31-40 (I'm a bit over that but don't feel like it). IMO it doesn't matter if you are old or young, fly through the air or keep your wheels planted, race or ride trails......All that matters it you are having fun and ride ride RIDE :D

• kirkw

Posted August 02, 2005 - 09:33 AM

Couldn't agree more byggd :D :D :D

• deadcarnahans

Posted August 02, 2005 - 10:32 AM

Thought maybe I was too old at 42 but reading the TT pole the averange age is 31-40 (I'm a bit over that but don't feel like it). IMO it doesn't matter if you are old or young, fly through the air or keep your wheels planted, race or ride trails......All that matters it you are having fun and ride ride RIDE :D

Had a kid ask me how old I was at an Evanescence concert.
41 or 42 is not old, especially if plan on living to 130.

• mxaction

Posted August 02, 2005 - 11:35 AM

ask around in the southwest forum, and you'll find plenty of people to ride with. texas is a big state (the biggest) and we have over 60,000 members.

http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=50

• extex

Posted August 02, 2005 - 12:38 PM

49 years old and bought an 05 WR450 this spring after 25+ years of no bike. Grew up in the country and mxing and I am having a blast now. You've got to read this forum and do at least the basic mods and it is a much better bike.

• byggd

Posted August 02, 2005 - 02:49 PM

49 years old and bought an 05 WR450 this spring after 25+ years of no bike

49?? Cool, I feel younger already :D :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted August 02, 2005 - 04:29 PM

A riding buddy is 61 and can still kick ass.

Just make sure you take care of yourself.

Drink plenty of beer and smoke at least one cigar a day.

By the way with a little work you can make a 450 fly!

• Vibeguy

Posted August 02, 2005 - 04:51 PM

I'm 47 and jumped back in after 23 years when a friend let me ride his 426. Started with a 426, mostly trail riding because I don't care much for the modern MX tracks with all the big jumps. I watched a vintage race and got hooked back up with racing, via vintage bikes, what a blast.

My wife keeps asking if I'm having a mid-life crises, I told her I don't know what it is but I'm having a really good time!

Oh, and I agree with the beer and cigar!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:04 PM

Oh, and I agree with the beer and cigar!

You know I do too.. :D

• wr429j

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:33 PM

One year ago I said to my wife: were all going to have a bike, it's a family activity and by the way I won't do any racing, just trail riding.

Well it's still a family thing (Pismo, Sand Mtn. etc) but she caught me in a lie.
Love those Hair Scrambles :D

The older I get the faster I ride :D
(riding senior C)

• Summit

Posted August 03, 2005 - 05:22 AM

Same story here except I'm 50. Bought a new WR450...it's my mid-life crisis thing. Wife said it was a lot better than some blonde with big boobs, ha!
What a great bike though. Dealer did all the free mods and then I had him do the AIS removal and re-jet and wow does it ever run good now!! Have fun.

• beezer

Posted August 03, 2005 - 06:11 AM

Vintage bikes are lots of fun.

I think you wife should be happy that your mid life crisis involves dirt bikes and not other women.

Get a pipe for the 450 and then ride it.

• byggd

Posted August 03, 2005 - 06:12 AM

Same story here except I'm 50. Bought a new WR450...it's my mid-life crisis thing. Wife said it was a lot better than some blonde with big boobs, ha!

It's better........the yamer never says no when you want to take a "ride" :D and doesn't want to cuddle after either :D

• chipwich

Posted August 03, 2005 - 07:09 AM

48 here. it's that damned movie (OAS) that got us all riding in the early 70's!!
:D

started back again last year after a 17 year break. took all of about 30 minutes on the bike to feel comfy again, probably because the bikes are so good now. maintenance is another thing. wrestled with a maxxis rear last night until 2 am!
:D my back hurts like hell this morning, but it's a good hurt.

• 4strokecowboy

Posted August 03, 2005 - 08:29 AM

Wow.I figured at 49, I'd be an old fart around here, good to see there are a few hippie generation ex motocrossers around getting to the second childhood. I have found that even though so far I have only ridden 4 times and 15 - 20 minutes each time, the skills and confidence are re surfacing quicker than I thought they would. I just need to go get some new gear, the old crap ain't cuttin it.

I only have one friend who rides dirt, and he will be keeping his XR600R at my ranch now so we can both ride without loading up. He will be re introducing me soon to the big riding park on the OK/TX border along the Red River close to Munster. It is only an hour away and I remember years ago it was a great area, hopefully it still is.

cheers to all you old farts still grippin and rippin!

• RC81

Posted August 03, 2005 - 02:56 PM

45 and still riding motocross tracks with my 14 yr. old on my yz250 and trails on my new WR. Not as fast as him and it does hurt a bit the next morning after a day of riding!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.