smoke rising from header on start-ups

7 replies to this topic
  • djo269

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:54 PM

What does the smoke rising from the header mean? I thought I hope its not a valve burning up!? :D

• yzf450jack

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:00 PM

Are you leaking coolent or oil on the header look for a leak :D it's not a valve

• djo269

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:08 PM

Oh yeah, I might have had some liquid standing on the header. I changed the oil and probably touched the header with my oily hands. I bet that is what it was, you think?

• Vibeguy

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:28 PM

If you don't have a TT decomp plug installed, make sure you didn't lose the factory plug right above the exhaust header,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yak

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:51 PM

Oh yeah, I might have had some liquid standing on the header. I changed the oil and probably touched the header with my oily hands. I bet that is what it was, you think?

Thats it most likely. There is no other reason it would smoke. Mechanical engine damage wont effect the header, at least not the outside of it.

I also get some smoke after a wash and its just the soap residue burning off.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you said that you grabbed it with oily hands.

• MisterMan

Posted August 01, 2005 - 09:43 PM

is it cold out side? :D

• mxaction

Posted August 02, 2005 - 10:47 AM

that has nothing to do with your valves, your either leaking coolant or oil and the smoke means it is burning off on the header pipe. its more than likely some oil from your hands got on the head pipe during an oil change though.

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2005 - 07:20 PM

What does the smoke rising from the header mean?

(don't say it Gray, come on, I know you think it's funny, and somebody will get a laugh, but don't be an smartass, alright? Gray,... no man, Gray....)

It means it's HOT!

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. I'm going to my room now. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.