FMF Q pipe on 05 WR 450

15 replies to this topic
  • Tbone81

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:15 PM

Up at Kennedy Meadows this weekend and a Ranger stopped me for no green sticker but I had the DMV slip. He said my bike was loud but he didn't have a meter and he would stop by my camp to measure it later. He never showed. I run the FMF Q. Saw a lot of others with the pipe, has anyone been measured with the FMF Q? Was it below 96db? Thanks.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:23 PM

My cousins YZ 250f W/FMF Q is just as loud as my TT-R 250 with PC T-4. It think that the 5-valve yami motors are just naturally loud regardless of the pipe at the ass end (except for maybe the stock WR with baffle(s) in it).

• endurodog

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:31 PM

I had my Q tested twice, on my 03 WR450. Both times it was 95DB.

• clark4131

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:41 PM

If he doesn't have a meter, then the nazi dickhead can jam it. I don't care what he "thinks" is loud...SC

• MotoGoalie

Posted August 02, 2005 - 07:46 AM

If he doesn't have a meter, then the nazi dickhead can jam it. I don't care what he "thinks" is loud...SC

Exactly, like that would stand up in court. How about Nazi park ranger shove a Q up his ass and see if its quiet enough then.

What is it with para-police types acting like they are the man? :D

• Orangeman64

Posted August 02, 2005 - 07:59 AM

I had installed a Q on my YZ 250 but felt I lost some bottom end. Anyone else ever have this problem? I replaced it with a power core and it ran great. Also had a gnarly pipe on it.

• mxaction

Posted August 02, 2005 - 11:37 AM

Up at Kennedy Meadows this weekend and a Ranger stopped me for no green sticker but I had the DMV slip. He said my bike was loud but he didn't have a meter and he would stop by my camp to measure it later. He never showed. I run the FMF Q. Saw a lot of others with the pipe, has anyone been measured with the FMF Q? Was it below 96db? Thanks.

a good way to make sure your "q" is always below 96db is to re-pack the muffler every so often.

• endurodog

Posted August 02, 2005 - 12:13 PM

I had installed a Q on my YZ 250 but felt I lost some bottom end. Anyone else ever have this problem? I replaced it with a power core and it ran great. Also had a gnarly pipe on it.

My Q takes away some power, but up top. Restricting the exhaust usually helps the bottom a bit at the cost of top end. I have to shift a lot more than when I run the open system. But my Q gets me legal for some of the events I run that require a 96DB bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted August 02, 2005 - 12:23 PM

I friend of mine installed a brand new (fresh out of the box), full system, FMF-Q on a 05 YZ450F and he was measured at a 98+ db reading at the annual trail ride that my club hosts. The tests were preformed by trained, AMA certified, "sound stewarts" and we tested the bike several different ways. Cold bike, warm bike, choke out, choke in, rider sitting on the bike, rider off the bike, etc….

FMF claims that the pipe should read below 94 db. My buddy shipped the pipe back to California to have FMF look at it. They sent it back last Saturday and my buddy raced the bike the next day. At the race, it was measured at 97 db. :D

I think FMF is sniffing to much race gas…..

$450+ dollars for a product that doesn’t even come close to what you claim it will…I’m not wasting my money.

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted August 02, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Powercore 4 + Quiet Insert = :D

• DRAGO

Posted August 02, 2005 - 02:45 PM

I friend of mine installed a brand new (fresh out of the box), full system, FMF-Q on a 05 YZ450F and he was measured at a 98+ db reading at the annual trail ride that my club hosts. The tests were preformed by trained, AMA certified, "sound stewarts" and we tested the bike several different ways. Cold bike, warm bike, choke out, choke in, rider sitting on the bike, rider off the bike, etc….

FMF claims that the pipe should read below 94 db. My buddy shipped the pipe back to California to have FMF look at it. They sent it back last Saturday and my buddy raced the bike the next day. At the race, it was measured at 97 db. :D

I think FMF is sniffing to much race gas…..

$450+ dollars for a product that doesn’t even come close to what you claim it will…I’m not wasting my money.

Q mufflers are rated 96db and below not 94db that would be more like a Q2 to have that 94db consistantly........if the test is 97-98db then either the test is done incorrectly or there is other areas that are making noise, a sound stewart standing directly behind the muffler can make it louder due to noise waves bouncing off him and coming right back, sound test are very tricky......i bet if you go into a open field and test he muffler you will make the 96db

• endurodog

Posted August 02, 2005 - 03:05 PM

The 2 times I have been tested with my original Q. Once by a forest Ranger, 2nd time was by some very qualified persons at an event. This event is strict enough I did do 1 other test, an unofficial test just to make sure I was where I needed to be. All 3 test had me at 95 DB.

This is just my experience and I would recommend the Q for meeting the 96 DB level.

• rushfan

Posted August 03, 2005 - 05:51 AM

Q mufflers are rated 96db and below not 94db that would be more like a Q2 to have that 94db consistantly........if the test is 97-98db then either the test is done incorrectly or there is other areas that are making noise, a sound stewart standing directly behind the muffler can make it louder due to noise waves bouncing off him and coming right back, sound test are very tricky......i bet if you go into a open field and test he muffler you will make the 96db

This is exactly right. I have an xr400 with a Q, and it was tested twice. Once at a cycle park ( by some idiot do gooder with a ranger badge ) and the second time at my local dealer for a second oppinion. Both times at 96db.
From what I hear, is that to do the test right, the meter has to be at a 45 degree angle, 16" away with the guy standing off to the side. At least that is how I seen it done. I think FMF makes a great product. :D

• jeff_wsu

Posted August 03, 2005 - 05:57 AM

Wow, I'm glad you posted this message. I posted one just yesterday asking about the Q2 and the posts I received were very positive. I really like and trust FMF products. I think I'm still going through with the Q2, but I wish they were still a little quiter.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 03, 2005 - 10:32 AM

Q mufflers are rated 96db and below not 94db that would be more like a Q2 to have that 94db consistantly........if the test is 97-98db then either the test is done incorrectly or there is other areas that are making noise, a sound steward standing directly behind the muffler can make it louder due to noise waves bouncing off him and coming right back, sound test are very tricky......i bet if you go into a open field and test he muffler you will make the 96db

I did mix up the Q vs. Q2. Thanks for clarifying that.

To reiterate: When our club tested my buddy’s bike, we were in an open field, standing at a 45 degree angle to the end of the muffler, the microphone was exactly 20 inches from the end of the muffler using a pre-cut dowel to measure and the RPM used was 4750. (My buddy is a club member too. He’s actually V.P. now). As I said in the previous post, our club tried several different attempts to get this brand new pipe to pass 96 db. But every time, it blew a 98+ db. To concur with your comment, we did notice that you get a higher reading if the sound steward is standing directly behind the microphone. As I said, we were in an open field during the test. The next closest object making a noise (besides people talking) was over a 150 ft away, and that would have been trucks pulling into the campground traveling at 10 mph. No bikes were running during the test. Our club makes everybody waiting in line to take the test to kill their engines.

Our club is pretty meticulous and diligent about the sound testing. We’ve been doing the testing for over 2 years now, and we host 3 events every year. At the last event we held, we made no exceptions for anybody. It was 96 db, or you DID NOT ride and considering we have over 400 riders at our events, some of which come from 3 states away, our club had to make sure that we were standing on solid ground when it comes to performing the sound test.

The point of my last post was not to bash FMF. FMF does make a good quality product and in their defense, they did take the pipe back, rework it, and ship back at no cost. The jury is still out on whether or not the pipe is “quiet” now. The test preformed at the race he went to on Sunday was laughable. We won’t truly know if the pipe is “quiet” until the club performs the test at the next event.

My point is this:
1) Be skeptical: Just because it’s supposed to be a “quite” pipe doesn’t mean it will be. Pipe manufactures can make mistakes, and since there also trying to get as much “performance” out of that pipe as possible while being quite, they are trying to balance the quality of there product on a really thin line. Also understanding how often you muffler needs to get repacked is helpful.
2) Get educated: As stated, performing a sound test properly is complicated and tricky. Do your research. You should know exactly how the sound test is supposed to be preformed and what are the variables or inputs that could cause the test to be incorrect.

(I do have to do a little FMF bashing. :D IMO, I do think there is too much “value-instilled”, “brand name recognition” mark up in their prices. Them and every other brand name pipe maker.)

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 15, 2005 - 06:40 PM

... The jury is still out on whether or not the pipe is “quiet” now. The test preformed at the race he went to on Sunday was laughable. We won’t truly know if the pipe is “quiet” until the club performs the test at the next event.

Weeeellll...the jury came back and FMF is free and clear. :D

My buddy and I tested the reworked pipe last Wednesday with the club's equipment, and the reworked pipe was well below 95 db. :D And for the hassle, FMF sent my buddy 4 free "Comfort Zone" tickets to the Millville ProNational this past weekend. The tickets include VIP seating in the tower, free catered breakfast and lunch! :D Pretty sweet!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.