Yamaha Survey

8 replies to this topic
  • mcarp

Posted March 10, 2001 - 04:47 PM

I received a call today from yamaha's survey dept. They asked me all kinds of questions..what do I like/dislike..what would I want to see changed. What mods have I done... I answered them giving thought to stock condition.

He asked me if I would want:

$140 more-would I want a 15 lb increase with fully functional electric start. I said NO WAY. That's to much weight, I may as well have an XR or DRZ! Then he asked, what about an 8 lb. backup starter good for 4-5 hot engine starts? I said maybe (somewhat interested). This might be a nice savior for you racers that stall it occasionally. Or just when you're in a REAL BAD position on the trail and need a helping hand. I would probably NOT want this feature in the end, I want a light bike.

He also asked if I would like a hydraulic clutch for $100 more(I yessed that after just installing the Hebo :)

He also asked what would be the most important thing(s) to change.
I ranked them like this:

1.) Reduce weight- mentioned alum frame
2.) appx. 450cc displacement
3.) Change ergonomics to YZ specs

I also directed the kind fellow to this site with 1400+ members to read about problems, changes people have had to make, etc. I;m sure they're looking anyway, but the more the merrier.

That was really cool to give some input. Thought y'all might be interested.

• James_Dean

Posted March 10, 2001 - 05:04 PM

Yes, very interesting.

My wish list:
1)lose 20 lbs
2)a)easier kick starting
__b)electric start
3)more adjustable barmounts (big guys ride big bikes)
4)make a 3.0 gallon tank with a YZ seat/tank ergo

Hope they're listening! :)

------------------------

Solutions:

1)put a redesigned aluminum silencer S/A, aluminum bars, rear sprocket, subframe, and a few more ti parts
2)a)automatic compression release for starting
3)tripleclamps like Applied Racing's
4)change the tank and use a YZ seat

The KTM's have all these goodies, why not Yamaha?? These should be EASY to fix!!!

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 03-12-2001).]

• Boit

Posted March 11, 2001 - 02:43 AM

I wish they would call ME.

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 11, 2001 - 03:37 AM

Mike,
I was called as well. It is ironic(?) that I mirrored EVERYTHING you said, EVERYTHING!!

I also mentioned that the carbs were completely hosed!

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted March 11, 2001 - 08:30 PM

That's interesting Kevin...great minds think alike :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 11, 2001 - 08:41 PM

I doubt it is ironic that they called both of you. It goes to show why Yamaha has done so well for the last 5 years and actually taking the time and effort to call it's customers. Also shows you that they are watching this site, because it is the best! Take care, Warlo

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 12, 2001 - 12:46 AM

Warlo,
Yamaha mailed me two surveys to fill out for off road bikes, likes/dislikes/dream bike. I thought it might be from Cannondale or Honda, guess not.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• Taffy

Posted March 12, 2001 - 03:34 AM

c,mon lads!

how about grease nipples on that rear linkage & the steering head?

what about a better finish to the plastic?

stupid throttle stops?

lower seat height?
that must put more potential dirt riders off than anything.

marzipan bars, why do they continue to fit them?

flywheel too light for 90% of the riders here?

what about the fact that i've proved that the cams haven't even the right timing?

combat fouled plugs?

given that 90% of this website can't use the power they've got i'm suprised anyone's first request for an improvement is to hop-up the engine!

still when did an american ever NOT think that bigger is better.

Taffy

• Mark_M

Posted March 12, 2001 - 04:20 AM

Yamaha Survey guy also called me, my answers were same re: electric start and hydraulic clutch. I did mention that it would be nice to be able to grease the rear suspension linkages and that the plastic/graphics do not hold up well. Ditto on the seat/tank spec. to YZ.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.