Best piston for 426?

19 replies to this topic
  • 426_Pilot

Posted August 01, 2005 - 03:28 PM

I'm going to do the top end on my 01 426 and was curious what brand piston you would recommend. My bike is stock with a Yosh pipe and has been bulletproof forever. I bunged up my shoulder and will finally have some down time to do the top end, valves, etc. Thanks in advance.

• cheekz

Posted August 01, 2005 - 03:42 PM

i would put the standard 1 back in 2bh :D

• My426Hauls

Posted August 01, 2005 - 04:18 PM

i would go with standard or wiseco.... as you said the bike was bullet proof with the standard one so why change. I am doing the top end in my 426 and will be putting a standard piston and rings in too.

• 642MX

Posted August 01, 2005 - 05:26 PM

I went with the Wiseco 13.5:1 compression ratio. Its louder (piston slap) and harder to start, but she'll try to rip your arms out of socket right off idle. I'm happy with the Wiseco.

• Chills

Posted August 01, 2005 - 10:10 PM

Oem!!!

• Slowmotion426

Posted August 01, 2005 - 10:14 PM

I just re-did my piston, rings, wrist pin, etc. I went with OEM. All of it came to a total of $195. I noticed that you can get WISECO for $125. Next time i'm gonna go WISECO.

• Chills

Posted August 01, 2005 - 10:25 PM

I just re-did my piston, rings, wrist pin, etc. I went with OEM. All of it came to a total of $195. I noticed that you can get WISECO for $125. Next time i'm gonna go WISECO.

195 is actually a pretty good price, and you know you are getting the OEM quality. Im not saying that Weisco doesnt produce a good product, but I have had and know people who have issues with their piston skirts, at least in the 2 stroke industry. I just rebuilt mine 2 weeks ago, and walked out with a $160 bill and that was with an employee discount. If I didnt have the discount, it would have been $273 for the Piston, Wrist pin, Clips, head gasket, and cylinder base gasket, and rings. I asked the same question, and posded the same reply as to picking up a Weisco kit for $129, and I was strongly urged to get OEM..

Just my .02 cents

• NAFLASH

Posted August 01, 2005 - 10:31 PM

from what i have heard, WISECO sucks, OEM is the best way to go. you cant really go wrong with stock.

• biznet1

Posted August 02, 2005 - 03:16 AM

I went with the Wiseco 13.5:1 compression ratio. Its louder (piston slap) and harder to start, but she'll try to rip your arms out of socket right off idle. I'm happy with the Wiseco.

Ditto.

from what i have heard, WISECO sucks

I've never heard that here. As a matter of fact, the opposite, and there is more than enough running to back it up. Their pistons are forged and stronger. God help us if we let another American manufacturing company survive.

• BergRyder

Posted August 03, 2005 - 10:29 PM

$275 for OEM piston, and rings? Ouch, say you get no performance gain at all? :D
For $350 you can get the 2mm overbore (exchange barrel), which bumps the capacity up to 444 cc, and the kit includes a Wiseco high comp piston... you may not need this for MX but its tempting for supermoto. :D
http://www.lukesraci...uksr/yz426f.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slowmotion426

Posted August 03, 2005 - 10:43 PM

195 is actually a pretty good price, and you know you are getting the OEM quality. Im not saying that Weisco doesnt produce a good product, but I have had and know people who have issues with their piston skirts, at least in the 2 stroke industry. I just rebuilt mine 2 weeks ago, and walked out with a $160 bill and that was with an employee discount. If I didnt have the discount, it would have been $273 for the Piston, Wrist pin, Clips, head gasket, and cylinder base gasket, and rings. I asked the same question, and posded the same reply as to picking up a Weisco kit for $129, and I was strongly urged to get OEM..

Just my .02 cents

It was a good price. I get a racer's discount. But money is tight.

• Chills

Posted August 04, 2005 - 07:17 AM

I actually get 30% off, sometimes it varies depending on aftermarket items. OEM seems to be the biggest discount. When I did the 450 Cam mod, they sold it for $153, and I got it for $93. But, when I checked on getting Asterisk's through them, I only saved like $5 bucks per brace. Its still a pretty good deal, most of the time i can still get prices that are well under advertised sale items....

• BeauGt

Posted August 04, 2005 - 04:50 PM

I have used wiesco pistions and never had problems, i have had problems with stock. Wiesco is the better choice. :D

• Sylvain

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:17 AM

When you say you changed the piston for standard one.

Do you actually replace the piston by one of the same dimension or do you go to first oversize and get the cylinder rebored ?

Is installing a new standard piston(and rings/pin etc) enough for a rebuild ?

I changed to an auto decomp cam last winter and although I'm very pleased with the result, I'm tempted to change my titanium valve train for stainless ones. I beleive a piston change would be advisable, that's why I ask.

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted August 05, 2005 - 09:45 AM

i put in a 13.5:1 wiseco back in december and havent had any problems with it. it's not too much harder to start and plus the auto-decomp hot cam it's really easy. plus, there is definately a difference in power! :D

• 426boy

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:47 PM

444 kit fer 350$ bucks dang i no wat im going to get next

• MisterMan

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:52 PM

what about that one company.....vortex something...????

• NAFLASH

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:24 PM

wouldnt a CNC made piston be stronger compared to a forged aluminum piston like a Wiseco?

• Pincushion

Posted August 06, 2005 - 06:52 AM

I can vouch for the quality of the 444 kit from Lukes racing. Millenium does the bore and plating and they supply a Wiseco piston and Cometic gasket kit for $350 shipped. It was cheaper for me the get this kit than go with an OEM jug & piston.

• mxaction

Posted August 06, 2005 - 02:42 PM

I'd go the OEM route. Get it 30%-50% off in the TT Store.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.