problem with coil

1 reply to this topic
  • lid

Posted August 01, 2005 - 02:18 PM

Im having problems with getting my bike to run the spark is there but is a bit weak i have had my stator rewound and ive checked resistance and is good but the only thing im unsure on the test is the coil ive tested the coil direct across the terminals and im getting 00.4 ohms.And from the terminal to ht cap im getting 9.28 ohms

now when i disconnect the cdi unit and test the blue and yellow wire to ht cap at the spark plug im getting no resistance no reading and the same when i connect the cap to the plug and test the blue and yellow wire across the green wire at the cdi end and i get no ressistance no reading and that is with the coil all connected up

im at a loss with the thing

can anyone throw any light on the situation

cheers mick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR6's_rule

Posted August 02, 2005 - 02:41 AM

Have you just had the stator rewound? Test the voltage coming from it, it should show up a least 40-50 V AC at a fast kickstarting speed. Your coil would be ok if your secondary resistance (sparkplug lead to cdi lead connector) is 9.28K ohms.
Other than this test the resistance between your two pickup wires it should show somewhere between 300-600 ohms, depending on the model of the bike. A quick spark strength test is to put the sparkplug in the cap and hold it about 8-9mm from an earth, the spark should comfortably jump across this distance, if it doesnt you have a problem.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.