426 Hotcams Update

7 replies to this topic
  • FZ1426

Posted August 01, 2005 - 01:44 PM

Just did the Hotcams Exhaust cam on the 426. OK, I know I'm always different than everyone else, but I kinda think the start drill was easier. :D Not to worry, it's a cool mod, less weight, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. I used to be able to start the thing in sandals, now it's boots only. All I can say at this point (a ride down the street) is I think it's a little quieter at low throttle, probably due to less duration, and smooth. It's certainly not more "finicky" like I thought it might be. Can't wait to let 'er rip. :D

• ripntear

Posted August 01, 2005 - 02:23 PM

It should start as easy if not easier than before. Make sure you are shimmed correctly.

• FZ1426

Posted August 01, 2005 - 04:37 PM

It should start as easy if not easier than before. Make sure you are shimmed correctly.

Yeah but it's nice to be able to release the compression manually. I always kicked 'er through a few times released and it was so easy. Now it's almost as hard as my old CR500...Damn wish I still had that monster... :D But the 426 is much better on a track, read rideable...

• ripntear

Posted August 01, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Sounds like something may be binding. Did you lube the cam journals and caps well before re-installing them? There shouldn't be anywhere near the compression resistance now as there was prior to the mod. Re-check everything before starting your bike again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:11 PM

Double check the cam timing. Based one what I've read here, you might be one tooth off.

• FZ1426

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Thanks but it runs great. It's called compression.

• Daz_426_02

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:30 AM

its called... I have done the mod too and its VERY easy to start the bike since the mod. Take all these guys recomendations seriously and re-check everything as its not normal to be more difficult.

• mxaction

Posted August 02, 2005 - 10:34 AM

its called... I have done the mod too and its VERY easy to start the bike since the mod. Take all these guys recomendations seriously and re-check everything as its not normal to be more difficult.

ditto.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.