Value to WR400F transmission?

4 replies to this topic
  • teamtoxic

Posted August 01, 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hey guys,

I have the remains of a buddy's 2000 WR400F that caught on fire (poor guy :D ). There's not much left but the bottom end remained untouched.

Is there any value to a COMPLETE WR400F transmission (gears, shift drum, forks, etc.).

I dug up an old post about dropping a WR450 transmission into a YZ450 but am wondering if there is a similar conversion for this (perhaps for a wide ratio YZ400/426).

Thanks for the insight,

Nick Lynn

• Hick

Posted August 01, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, the whole tranny will swap right into a YZ 400/426. All the parts save the main shaft and gears (main shaft has 1st gear integral to it) are identical between the two bikes (forks, drum, countershaft, shifting mechanism etc).

The WR 1st gear is pretty low, but I do know that some TTalkers in the past have put the WR 5th (I don't think the YZ 4th dogs mesh w/ WR 5th, so you may need 4th gear also, it is only about a 3% difference) into their YZs for more top speed.

WR 5th will give you about 14% more top speed. Might be a good setup for SM depending on your track...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slowmotion426

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:34 PM

I guarantee somebody out there needs those parts.

• yzf450jack

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:09 PM

It won't fit in the 450s :D

• teamtoxic

Posted August 02, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Yep, I pulled up that thread too...

dropping a YZ426 5 speed into a YZ450 can and has been done, but not without machining the cases, narrowing gears, and getting all the shimming just right. I would assume that if the WR400 trans will drop in a YZ400/426 then it would require the same work as to drop the 426 trans into a 450. (Too much)

I'm not that brave, so I'll let these parts go to somebody with a drop in situation (or somebody more brave than I).

Thanks guys!

- Nick

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.