Crankcase cover gasket exposed, Hick Please Help!

3 replies to this topic
  • olson_jr

Posted March 10, 2001 - 02:19 PM

I can see about 3/16" of my right crankcase cover gasket sticking out of the area below the kickstarter. It's exposed outside of the area where there is a hole that the torsion spring for the kickstarter is located. Please tell me that this is normal for this gasket. I see no traces of oil leakage just that damn gasket staring out at me saying, "check the balancer drive gear keyway when you replace me buddy."

By the way I noticed this while I was tearing the rear suspension down to install the grease that Yamaha skimps on. You guys are 100% correct telling us to grease before we roost.

Thanks,

------------------

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 10, 2001 - 06:57 PM

If you've never opened the right side case and it came that way from the factory, I wouldn't worry. As I recall, mine also extended slightly beyond the case just as you described.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted March 11, 2001 - 02:39 AM

I just checked my '00 YZ and it has a large tab of that gasket protruding as you described. I would imagine that it's there to make placement easy when putting the cases together. It would give you a thumb and forefinger hold while fitting it together. I wish ALL gaskets would have an external tab like this.

• olson_jr

Posted March 11, 2001 - 06:01 AM

Thank you gentlemen, now I can finish greasing the bike and stop staring at the gasket.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.