New XR650R Owner

13 replies to this topic
  • Jolly705

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:15 AM

Hey guys I just purchased a 2001 XR650R Plated Bike to make into a Motard/ MX bike. Is there anything I should know about the bike? Problems etc?
I have a 2005 Husky I am racing and it requires Full Synthetic Oil, how about the XR? What type of maintenance schedule does the bike require? Where is a good place to buy parts?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• qadsan

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:40 AM

See for tons of info on the xr650r. As far as oil goes, use whatever JASO MA rated oil you want and it does not have to be synthetic. There are also plenty of people using HDEO's (Heavu Duty Engine Oils) in their bikes such as Shell Rotella T-Syn, Mobil 15W50 Gold Cap, etc. Maintenance itself is very simple (air filter, oil filter, oil, etc) and the schedule will vary depending on the application. Valves are easy to check and set if necessary and are done via screw / locknut under the valve cap as opposed to using bucket / shim technology and there's no need to remove the cam, etc. is one of the least expensive places to buy parts from (~30% off list price).

• justicedone

Posted August 01, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Most important thing to know is your now an official BRP owner.

have fun, go safe

• Jolly705

Posted August 01, 2005 - 06:42 PM

Most important thing to know is your now an official BRP owner.

have fun, go safe

:D :D :eek:

PS qad
Thanks for the tips, I will def. check those sites out. :D

• motart

Posted August 02, 2005 - 03:52 AM

also tons of info on
and http://autos.groups....m/group/XR650R/

• Jolly705

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:59 AM

also tons of info on
and http://autos.groups....m/group/XR650R/

Lets see some photos of yours?

• khelton

Posted August 02, 2005 - 06:50 AM

Congrats, you will love the R, it's a little like your dog, even when the wife/girlfriend are mad at ya, at least you will have your R.

IMHO, synthetic is worth the difference, street SM can put some extended stress on the motor, synthetic is just added would do it for your dog.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motart

Posted August 02, 2005 - 09:20 AM

for your reading enjoyment

• Troy_Bell

Posted August 02, 2005 - 11:07 AM

Keep an eye on the kick starter bolt and the foot peg bolts from time to time. They can come loose from the vibration. Also, be gentle with the oil filter cover bolts, because they can strip. Other than that, the bike appears bulletproof. I have over 9000 miles on mine (80%dirt/20%street) and haven't had a problem. I agree with qadsan, is a good source. I have bought several items from them.

• Eric Henion

Posted August 03, 2005 - 04:33 PM

Another place to buy parts is

• smashinz2002

Posted August 03, 2005 - 08:17 PM

Engine is bulletproof, oil is your preference, I run 20w-50w non-synthetic. Doesn't seem to matter, it runs good any way you do it. Valve adjustment like he said, simple matter.
My 650R is a 2000 model, owned and ridden off-road several years now. Only problem was loose kickstart bolt and right foot peg bolt. I never had the clutch bushing problem or countershaft oil seal problem. Subframe nut will come loose too, loctite it.
You can ignore the normal mechanical engine noises.
The bike uncorked and jetted is a very powerful machine for the street, so motard would be great. Have fun!

• Jolly705

Posted August 04, 2005 - 06:17 AM

Sweet, thanks for the feedback it seems as though the kick starter and peg bolts seem to be the only issue and I def. deal with that one :D

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:07 AM

welcome to the brp gang

• KeithBoyd

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:55 AM

Apart from all of the above I `ve now got 10000km of hard (read HARD supermoto type)road miles and off road miles with 1 tappet check(revealing them bang on) and oil and filter changes every 1000kms....thats it....nothing more nothing less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........point and shoot everytime....

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.