CR M/C swap?

3 replies to this topic
  • spillicious

Posted August 01, 2005 - 12:34 AM

what model of the cr m/c is a simple swap of the 2000 yz426? is there one? do you have to swap brake lines + screws with the set up, possibly even the caliper? and how much of a difference does it really make. dont wanna waste 30$ on a rebuild kit if i can get a nice upgrade with a cr m/c off ebay for $30-40.

• RCannon

Posted August 01, 2005 - 04:03 AM

Basically any CR master cylinder works. I used one from a 2001 and it bolts right on.

The hose mounts on a different spot on the m/c, but my stock Yamaha line worked fine. My fastline brake line did as well.

By the way, the honda m/c rebuild kit works in the yamaha and costs a lot less.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 01, 2005 - 09:00 PM

The Honda unit is better than the Yamaha unit any day. I bought an 02 CRF 450 unit, but I think any of them from about 98 on up are the same. Do yourself a favor and get a CR style brake line as well and swap everything at once. Make sure the M/C you get has the perch screws with it, because the Yamaha ones are different and don't work, the banjo bolts will be fine though. Your stock caliper will be fine. Once your glad, enjoy the new brakes! It make a ton of difference and is definitely worth it.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 01, 2005 - 09:04 PM

The hose mounts on a different spot on the m/c, but my stock Yamaha line worked fine. My fastline brake line did as well.

I bought a used Yamaha CR-style Fastline brake line off Ebay when I did the swap, and it works but the fitting on the master cylinder is very close to the bars. The Honda line has a fitting that is bent on the m/c end to accomodate for the different mounting, while the Yamaha style line has a straight fitting. Maybe I just got an older style line, but it works regardless.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.