What's in your tool pack?

46 replies to this topic
  • truck6driver

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:39 AM

Ok here's a case for you. Riding a long way out in the woods, miles from where you started, and a minor crash leaves your water pump busted. What can be done with this scenario??

I think Scott has that covered

#14- TOW STRAP

• Onederer

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:56 AM

Ok here's a case for you. Riding a long way out in the woods, miles from where you started, and a minor crash leaves your water pump busted. What can be done with this scenario??

Maybe some epoxy if its not completly busted, and carrying a couple coffee filters to filter what water you can find to replace what you lost.

Best thing if wearing riding boots is to carry a light pair of regular tennis shoes, in case one has to walk out.

Recently I have added a fair size medical kit to my neccesary tool carry list.

I lost the multi tool I've had for a few years a week ago:doh: It got ripped off my belt by something somewhere:banghead: I always carried on my side cause it was easy to get to, I think the new one will go in a bag.

For emergency use, I find the factory tool kit adequate for most things that can be repaired in the woods, add some large/small zip ties,tire irons/tubes and repair patches, multi tool, extra master link, spare spark plug, small roll of tape of choice, AA led maglight or dynamo powered light and I'm covered OK. Sometimes I carry a small whiskey flask filled with rubbing alcohol and a lighter or a magnesium bar with a striker for starting a fire for several reasons.

Anything that can be used to check oil, wipe hands or a$$, cause if a walk out is inevitable a raw crack would just make it that much harder:smirk:

• scalejockey

Posted January 05, 2009 - 10:59 AM

A lot of whats been posted and...
Extra long bandana..that and a shin guard makes a good splint for broken bones.
"snap"Light stick
Extra headlight bulb.
A spare 2-s (B8ES)plug,cause if there is going to a fouled plug,it will always be someone on a 2-s that forgot to bring an extra plug!

• riririu

Posted January 05, 2009 - 12:29 PM

small channel locks, a 7 in 1 screwdriver wire strippers and electrical tape

• jesusgatos

Posted January 05, 2009 - 01:14 PM

This is what's in my pack, and the rest of this thread on ADVrider is a great read. Lots of good stuff.

• LeadDoggy

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:31 PM

besides the factory tool kit,
sparkplug, towstrap, clutch handle, CO2 tire inflator kit, first aid kit, toilet paper (like the baby wipe idea) and one of these

http://www.motionpro...i_purpose_tool/

• Remington

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:52 PM

besides the factory tool kit,
sparkplug, towstrap, clutch handle, CO2 tire inflator kit, first aid kit, toilet paper (like the baby wipe idea) and one of these

http://www.motionpro...i_purpose_tool/

RATS!!!! I thought I was done buying stuff for my bike. But I really like that lil thingy.

• Kenzo

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Keltec, smokes, lighter & multitool...learned it from the survivor guy on TV :smirk:

...oh and duct tape :thinking:

heheheee...

:smirk:

P.S. hollowpoints if i'm travel'n light

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:49 PM

Keltec.........

Glad to see I'm not the only one who occassionaly packs while riding. I do a USP in a Bianchi UM82.:thinking:

• Gassyphil

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:52 PM

9mm in the water bag! Hollow points to save weight! :thinking:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NMNORGE

Posted January 05, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Keltec, smokes, lighter & multitool...learned it from the survivor guy on TV :smirk:

...oh and duct tape :thinking:

heheheee...

I thought you carried starbucks coffee credit cards and COOKIES!

• Kenzo

Posted January 06, 2009 - 06:15 AM

I thought you carried starbucks coffee credit cards and COOKIES!

...cookies wud be gud! :thinking:

...or maybe sum :smirk: pies?

• XR650RSMOKEDU

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:19 AM

http://www.motionpro...l_t_handle_set/
I also carry most of the other stuff you guys listed and a spare counter shaft seal + snap ring and small snap ring pliers on the long rides. I prefer to use the small mountain bike hand pumps over the c02 one just so I don't run out of air. MSR makes the best tool packs that I've used too.

• XR650RSMOKEDU

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:21 AM

why do you need a gun to go riding? I own guns too but I'm not really too sure what you would use one for on a trail ride.

• wsettle

Posted January 07, 2009 - 05:22 AM

why do you need a gun to go riding? I own guns too but I'm not really too sure what you would use one for on a trail ride.

Why?

1. If I run up on a temporary meth lab set up in the forest.
2. May have to walk home some day and not everyone is a good guy
3. May have to sleep in the forest so it's nice to have a popper to scare off a bear, mountain lion or the worst of them, a pack of hungry coyotes
4. Cause I can

I carry a 9mm or a Keltec if I'm traveling light.

• sploogemonkey

Posted January 07, 2009 - 07:37 AM

Why?

3. May have to sleep in the forest so it's nice to have a popper to scare off a bear, mountain lion or the worst of them, a pack of hungry coyotes
4. Cause I can

wsettle is absolutely justified in his reasons for choosing to carry, and I agree with them also. I admit though, that the times I've carried it's also to do a little plinking out in the back country. Why not combine two hobbies that I enjoy?

On another note, about 12 years ago I was doing some trail riding in the hills between Perris and Quail Valley, CA and stumbled across a dumping ground littered with hundreds of empty containers of cold medicine (Suphedrine?), some five gallon cans of some kind of chemical, and several one gallon jugs of bleach or something.

I ain't no rocket scientist, but I doubt someone was cookin' up a batch of oatmeal cookies with those ingredients.

• jesusgatos

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:25 AM

Why?

4. Cause I can

Always the same questions. My brother and I ran into a meth lab camp when we were riding out in eastern OR, and I was REALLY glad I had my .45 with me. I'd add pissed-off/crazy ranchers/land-owners to that list too. A lot of the people I ride with here have had guns pulled on them.

• 4runnerman88

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:10 PM

What do you mean busted? Is the cover cracked? Are the hoses leaking?

I mean the housing where the hose connects broke off

http://i107.photobuc...th_100_1810.jpg
I hope the pic shows

• XR650RSMOKEDU

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:49 AM

I was just asking what you might be concerned with that would make you feel the need to carry. I would enjoy a little plinking out in the hills too but I like to set up things to shoot at so I haven't done it yet.
Keep in mind that you need a permit to carry in CA.

• jesusgatos

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:53 AM

Keep in mind that you need a permit to carry in CA.

Depending on when, where and how you're carrying, no you don't.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.