Torn ACL

8 replies to this topic
  • Eric Henion

Posted July 31, 2005 - 10:00 AM

Have any of you had a torn ACL? If so have you had it replaced or repaired?

• SMOKE

Posted July 31, 2005 - 12:23 PM

i had it done i had a doner acl

• Eric Henion

Posted July 31, 2005 - 02:56 PM

How long was your recovery time and how does it feel now compared to before the surgery?

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted July 31, 2005 - 04:22 PM

I enjoyed my first ACL reconstruction so much that I tore up my other knee.

Patella Graft for the first and it hurt like an SOB, and for the second, a hamstring graft. But beware, for most guys sitting on the pot is a sacred activity meant for enjoyment, reflection, and meditation...having a fresh chunk of hamstring removed makes one of our greatest joys rather burdensome.

As an educated consumer, I am telling you to GET A NERVE BLOCK. INSIST ON HAVING ONE!! For my second recon. it gave me two days of a completely limp leg, but it didn't hurt one bit. And for any surgery the first 24 to 48 hours is the most painful.

ACL surgery using a cadaver graft will have the least amount of recovery time.

I took it easy for 3 months riding around easy in a field, then at 6 months, I was out riding in the woods again.

My fresh recon'ed knee is a bit stiff after sitting in the car for 4 hours, but it dosen't hurt one bit. And as a point of reference, I had my surgery last Halloween..exactly 9 months ago.

Any more questions? Lay 'em on me.

Dirty

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eric Henion

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info. My doc says the donor ligament is the way to go for the least recovery time.

• TahomaTom

Posted August 01, 2005 - 10:05 AM

Get the donor. I had the patella graf and many years later still can not lean down on that knee. The knee is strong and I have had no issues except not being able to lean on it. If i did it again I would get the donor.

Recovery time can be from 3-12 months. I had my surgery July 1st and skied on Thanksgiving.

Just do your re hab. Than do some more. Ask your doctor to send you to a Physical Therapist that specializes in sports medicine. Just make sure they know you are not some couch potato happy with just being able to walk and run normally. You want to be able to push it hard for hours.

Once you have done this - Re hab more. The more you build those muscles the better off you will be. I still do some of the exercises and stretches regularly.

• Eric Henion

Posted September 18, 2005 - 02:38 PM

After much research and thought process I had my torn ACL replaced. This first week was the longest week in my life. I know the recovery time will be long but I needed it done. The worst part is not being able to bend my knee and sit in a regular chair. Laying on the couch sucks. I will keep you all updated.

• TahomaTom

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Did you get the donor?

If I ever have to do it I will.

Nothing like the pain the first few times you stand up and the blook rushes down your leg.

Yes the couch does suck, I had to peeled of the couch. It was up to 105 degrees the first week, had no AC, and only a leather couch. Not fun

• Eric Henion

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:38 AM

yes I had the donor, doc says that is the shortest recovery time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.