23mm offsets with storm link?

9 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted July 31, 2005 - 09:31 AM

after installing the emig offset clamps(which are a vast improvement in turning) i noticed the front is higher and i had to raise the forks in the clamps to the first line to balance it out. question is, will the storm link(raises the shock linkage 7mm i beleive) work to even out the difference or is it the same as what i've already done by raising the forks? i guess what i'm trying to figure out is it just a matter of raising and lowering or is does suspension geometry change in the rear react differently than simply moving the forks up and down?

• FZ1426

Posted July 31, 2005 - 09:53 AM

What's wrong with just having raised the forks? It's not enough? If anything, By doing so, you've essentially put more weight bias on the front and would only need to compensate with more front spring or compression. Why raise the back if there's a vast turning improvement already?

• FZ1426

Posted July 31, 2005 - 09:55 AM

And to answer your question. Yes.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 31, 2005 - 11:47 AM

What's wrong with just having raised the forks? It's not enough? If anything, By doing so, you've essentially put more weight bias on the front and would only need to compensate with more front spring or compression. Why raise the back if there's a vast turning improvement already?

i've got it working fine, i'm just always looking for better! people say its 90% rider 10% bike,i don't follow that train of thought. i want the bike to perform first, letting me do my thing. no excuses that way! i just thought maybe there was a difference. saves me $120. thanx for the reply :D

• FZ1426

Posted July 31, 2005 - 12:26 PM

I can dig it. Just seems to me that if it's turning you want, lowering beats raising either way. Wheelbase adjustment can affect turning as much as anything (ride height and CG). Any change on either end affects both. The problem is it's never perfect, there's always a compromise at play.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted July 31, 2005 - 04:33 PM

i can't help but wonder if that storm link does anything besides "lift" the rear,like maybe how the suspension reacts. when you start messing with linkage geometry,sumthin's gotta give. i'm gonna see what storm has to say tomorrow. right now my spring bias is to the front(.52/6.0) the back being undersprung a little as thats the biggest spring that RCS makes(6.0),as long as the pre-load remains the same it may benefit from such a change. i'm 6'4" also so a taller seat height wouldn't be bad,but then the cg would be taller also,like you said its give and take. i've already got the chain as short as it'll go so wheelbase is as short as its gonna get. lifting the rear might or might not be the way to go,Ga426owner has the storm link on his bike,whats your thoughts Ga?

• John407

Posted July 31, 2005 - 05:42 PM

I put a Storm link on my '03 450. Mostly on the word of quite a few guys on this forum. They were saying that it made the 450 turn like a 250 stroke. Does it? I like the way the bike handles with it and I like the fact that it is higher in the rear end, and it's annodized blue so it looks great. I never had the chance to test a 450 with the link against a 450 without it, maybe I would have a better idea then.

• FZ1426

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:07 PM

i can't help but wonder if that storm link does anything besides "lift" the rear,like maybe how the suspension reacts. when you start messing with linkage geometry,sumthin's gotta give. i'm gonna see what storm has to say tomorrow. right now my spring bias is to the front(.52/6.0) the back being undersprung a little as thats the biggest spring that RCS makes(6.0),as long as the pre-load remains the same it may benefit from such a change. i'm 6'4" also so a taller seat height wouldn't be bad,but then the cg would be taller also,like you said its give and take. i've already got the chain as short as it'll go so wheelbase is as short as its gonna get. lifting the rear might or might not be the way to go,Ga426owner has the storm link on his bike,whats your thoughts Ga?

Sometimes (depending on variables) lengthening the wheelbase puts more leverage on the shock and actually makes it ride lower. It also increases front bias (weight) and improves turning accordingly...

• ncmountainman

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:14 PM

Sometimes (depending on variables) lengthening the wheelbase puts more leverage on the shock and actually makes it ride lower. It also increases front bias (weight) and improves turning accordingly...

ya,i'm saavy to the weight bias thing,i'm talking about the way the linkage reacts to the change,it doesn't lengthen the wheelbase at all. the linkage acts as a multiplier of sorts,and changing the angles and dangles must do sumthin' besides just lift? softer,stiffer,better on landings or not,etc...? if all it does is lift the rear up then its actually useless as lowering the front would decrease the rake in the same manner,and get the same job done. i'm just trying to figure out if it does anything besides lifting and putting more weight on the front :D

• ncmountainman

Posted August 01, 2005 - 08:47 AM

just got off the phone with storm, they don't make one for the 05 yet as its different than 04,they said it doesn't change anything but ride height so i'm not missing anything. :D i went out and played with them some more,and got them very near perfect. ended up going one round tighter on the pre-load ring for thr shock(my sag was a little low as the new spring is just broken in) went up with the fork tubes another 2mm(7mm from the cap now) ended up with(for 280 lb rider) front-.52's/17 out comp/7 out rebound,2 1/2 out on too tech subtanks,5" from top 7 1/2 wt. mobil 1 atf...rear-6.0 RCS ti, 2 out hsc/7 out lsc/10 out rebound. putting my W.E.R. steering damper on thurs. that should really sweeten it up :D man this thing rails through the woods now :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.