03 WR450 recommendations

8 replies to this topic
  • Jim_bo

Posted July 30, 2005 - 03:10 PM

I live in the Mojave desert about 3 hours north of LA. I have been seriously considering buying a new WR450, but my 03 has been such a great bike, I think I may just want to dump a bit of money into it instead.

If I keep it, I will want my suspension revalved/resprung and lowered about 1.5 inches(i.e. travel limiters). Where do you guys recommend I take the bike to? I don't want to break the bank on this deal, but I do want a reputable company. I do mostly desert with some trails.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jimbo

• vmxr

Posted July 30, 2005 - 08:04 PM

I'm running Novation valving and heavier springs from Yamaha on my 03 450, and really like the adjustability. Very versatile. But I don't know if they do lowering. I have had really good results with lowered suspension from MX-Tech in the past. One company I haven't tried but keep hearing good things about is Precision Concepts.

Those are my two favorites and one thats been recommeded to me FWIW.

I'm sure there are many other shops that would also do a good job.

• Jim_bo

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:54 AM

A lot of people really like MX-Tech. I may be leaning towards them.

So, what's the opinion?? Keep the 03 and upgrade or go with a new WR450??

Jimbo

• Joe_P

Posted August 01, 2005 - 09:13 PM

I have an '03 and recently (within the past couple of mos.) shortened my suspension/revalved through Factory Connection. It was one of the best mods I've made. I'm 5'5" and I was primarily riding the open desert where I didn't need to touch down a whole lot, but then we started riding singletrack and tight technical stuff where I really needed to dab and I couldn't with the stock suspension. Now, I'm not afraid of getting stuck on a hill or any other of the possible situations that I used to try to avoid. It was about an $800 mod, but I feel it was worth it. FC had it turned around in about a week and they were short one person in their shop.

Personally, I'd stick with the '03. You probably have it dialed in to where you like it. I'd hate to go through everything all over again to get a new bike where I wanted it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vmxr

Posted August 01, 2005 - 09:51 PM

Hmmm, I'd probably keep the 03 since its paid for and it sounds like you'd probably want to lower a new one anyway. One other thing to consider is slotting the lower subframe mount bolt holes by 8mm. Dirt Bike or some other mag ran an article with that tip for lowering seat height. Supposedly drops the rear of the seat an inch IIRC. No idea if it works, but might be worth investigating which ever way you go.

• Orangeman64

Posted August 02, 2005 - 04:37 AM

I raised mine an inch.

• Jim_bo

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:10 AM

I raised mine an inch.

Dude... you are a monster...

• Jim_bo

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:12 AM

I have an '03 and recently (within the past couple of mos.) shortened my suspension/revalved through Factory Connection. It was one of the best mods I've made. I'm 5'5" and I was primarily riding the open desert where I didn't need to touch down a whole lot, but then we started riding singletrack and tight technical stuff where I really needed to dab and I couldn't with the stock suspension. Now, I'm not afraid of getting stuck on a hill or any other of the possible situations that I used to try to avoid. It was about an $800 mod, but I feel it was worth it. FC had it turned around in about a week and they were short one person in their shop.

Personally, I'd stick with the '03. You probably have it dialed in to where you like it. I'd hate to go through everything all over again to get a new bike where I wanted it.

Holy Smoke!! $800??? Wow... that's steep. But, it is cheaper than a new bike.

I took a test ride on an 05. They are significantly shorter and feel like they have a much lower center of gravity. Very nice ride. However, the suspension is soft and would need work. Hhhhmmmmmm.....

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 02, 2005 - 06:44 AM

I took a test ride on an 05. They are significantly shorter and feel like they have a much lower center of gravity. Very nice ride. However, the suspension is soft and would need work. Hhhhmmmmmm.....

Good point... My 05 was too soft for desert stuff, it felt short and sloppy, I was able to get my bike exactly where I want it with just a few clicks here and there, mostly the forks. Now I'm real happy with the suspension. If I were to have valving done I would take it to Fineline in Huntington Beach, Jason and Tom are second to none..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.