Two stupid questions

3 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted July 29, 2005 - 10:57 PM

I decided it was about time i greased my suspension linkages after around 18 months, which I know is a bit overdue.

Despite having consulted you guys s&%t loads of times on other stuff, I decided I'd go ahead and do it...can't be that hard.

I've now removed the subframe (which I have now discovered after checking here, isn't necessary!!!) and am about to remove the shock, which brings me to my two questions.

First of all is there any load on the shock, provided i've removed the wheel and there's no load on it of course. And if so do I have to back off the preload collars before unbolting the shock?

Secondly, and this is the reeeeal stupid one, I've just discovered what looks like one of the brass coloured spacers holding the tailight assembly to the rear mudguard sitting on the bottom shock bumper. Where did this come from???? is there a spacer on the airbox boot clamp where it connects to the carby? I'm hoping so because i can't see where its come from.

• mikedabike

Posted July 29, 2005 - 11:03 PM

Taking off the subframe makes it easier anyway. If you have it on a stand and the back wheek is off the ground there is no load on the shock just unbolt it and it will come right off. Dont know anything about the brass colored spacer :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:08 AM

Loosen the bolts that conect the linkage to the swing arm before removing the shock.

• wrooster

Posted July 30, 2005 - 07:13 AM

First of all is there any load on the shock, provided i've removed the wheel and there's no load on it of course. And if so do I have to back off the preload collars before unbolting the shock?

no, there is no load on the shock with the suspension fully extended. you can just unbolt the shock/spring as a unit and remove it from the bike. you do not have to back off the preload collars whatsoever.

see the makings of a divorce right here:
http://losdos.dyndns...c/moto-kitchen/
and of course see the 250F FAQ on greasing the linkage:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

Secondly, and this is the reeeeal stupid one, I've just discovered what looks like one of the brass coloured spacers holding the tailight assembly to the rear mudguard sitting on the bottom shock bumper. Where did this come from????

if i had to guess it is one of the inserts that holds the rear mudflap to the airbox. just a guess though. got a pic?

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.