CRF70 Upgrades/Mods

16 replies to this topic
  • crfbiker

Posted July 29, 2005 - 06:29 PM

My son & I are wanting to improve the performance of his CRF70. We are not ready to do any bore kits etc... at this time. Based on what we have read, it seems that we need to change the sprockets in the front and possibly the back. Also, we need to look at the intake/air filter. Lastly, possibly the suspension. I would like to hear from some of you who have done this. What we need to know is the following:

1) What sprocket sized do you recommend on the front and back? 13/42?

2) On the intake, we are looking to keep the same carb., so do we just get a Uni filter?

3) On the suspension, need something tighter on the front, and would like to know if there is a swing arm which fits the back with no mods needed?

Any help will be appreciated.

• speed freak

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:00 PM

1 and 2 are right. I think BBR makes a swing arm.

• crfbiker

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:12 AM

do aftermarket exhaust help in any type of proformance? if so tell me a good brand name. if not thats fine.

• 150stocker

Posted July 30, 2005 - 07:46 AM

I would keep the stock exhaust if your going to leave the motor the same. for the front, you can get Damping rods from BBR that will give you better travel, and get a BBR swingarm in the back to even it out...

• crfbiker

Posted July 30, 2005 - 03:53 PM

where should i get my sprocket from

• woodsrat

Posted July 30, 2005 - 07:33 PM

Sprocket Specialties or any one of a number of 50 suppliers carry 13t. sprockets.

The foam filters offered by hondatrailbikes.com for the 20mm carbs will fit the stock 70 carb!!! :D Supposedly there's a UNI available but so far I've not found it. Currently I have a K + N and a foam filter I got from an Amsoil dealer, although it's not specifically designed for the carb mouth size on the 70--it came with rubber adapters that seem to work although you have to make sure they're oil free and not to overtighten the hose clamp.

I preach the gospel of using 50 primary gears on the 70 for even more acceleration. The part numbers you need:

23110-GK4-010 big gear
23120-086-020 small gear
23112-GBO-910 clutch outer drive gear

The big gear is narrower than the 70's but if the 50 gears hold up under 88cc+ motors I figure they'll last on a 70.

Main jets are available from Sudco (sudco.com or 323-728-5407). They are part number 99101-116-(jet size). They're available in sizes from #50 to #120.

Also the intake manifold isn't matched well to the intake port of the head. The head hole is larger and off-center from the manifold hole. I copied the head hole location on a piece of paper, cut out the hole, and then used the the paper template to match the manifold to the head. I had to remove a lot of aluminum to get it to match. Won't give you 10 HP but every little bit helps and all it costs is your time!!

• bamafutbal

Posted July 31, 2005 - 04:15 AM

i just dropped 2 teeth on front and it came from rocky mountain, price was 6.95
john

• crfbiker

Posted July 31, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Consistantly hear of dropping to 13T on front. Anyone change the back? Is so, to what size? I was thinking of going to a 42, but don't want it to kill the effects of going to 13 on the front.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • speed freak

Posted July 31, 2005 - 09:03 AM

i was thinking the same thing

• five0addict

Posted July 31, 2005 - 09:41 AM

bigger in back and smaller in front, slower top speed/lower gearing

• jwriott

Posted July 31, 2005 - 03:17 PM

Looks like we're doing some similar things. I have this exhaust tip coming for my 70. I liked it since it's got a spark arrestor option as well. I'll let you know how it is when I get it. Should be Monday or Tuesday.

http://www.throttleu...tip_2138806.htm

• jwriott

Posted August 01, 2005 - 05:56 PM

Well, I got the exhaust tip today. It's very nicely made and fit up well on the bike. It's about 1/4 the weight of the stock insert. The bike is considerably louder and revs out quicker.

I have not changed the jetting yet. I still need to modify the air filter or put a pod filter on the bike. I'm at 5,000'+ so I'm probably a little rich as it is anyway.

• streetassault

Posted August 02, 2005 - 08:56 AM

I am racing the 70 in a motard class right now i am 5ft10 165
fast 50's stiff fork springs/10 weight fork oil
fast 50's riser
skid plate
fmf pipe
1/4 turn throttle
extended throttle cable
12 inch front and rear with street tires
i like bmx bars but its all personal pref
werkes rear shock a must
cdi ripper box
kn air filter
bigger pegs and folding shifter helps
13/43 gearing but as sprokets are cheap i would play around with that
some guys are running a 19mm carb
hot cam
some guys are running the 4 speed manual tranny i prefer the stock but you may want to play around with the clutch
i need to come up with some sort of lower fork brace as the lower tripple bends easy
and most likely you will constantly be working on the jetting

• crfbiker

Posted October 19, 2005 - 02:01 PM

it worked great.

• levy1

Posted October 19, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Where are you guys getting the pod filter from. I orderd a 4112st uni filter and it does not fit even though the catalog says it will. Anyone know the correct size or where I can get one? Thanks 04 crf70F

• Crf70rider

Posted July 02, 2009 - 07:40 PM

hey,

i have the crf70 2008...sweet bike stock but if your looking to throw on a little more power for little cash and without bore-ing your engine put a bbr round exhaust pipe. they are only 170$ and you can install your stock end cap so that its a simmal quieter sound. Go to bbr.com and check it out for yourself! its a pretty decent mod, as well try to get a aftermarket rev box its another cheap mod that helps with the power.

• brockasaurus3884

Posted July 03, 2009 - 10:29 AM

Just keep the back the same if you just want a little more pull bc you dont want to ruin the top speed on it bc then 1st gear and 2nd will be almost usless...

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF70F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF70F 2012
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2011 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2011
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2009 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2009
  • 1 review
  • Last review by buddha43
  • On February 03, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF50F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Pit bike in the making... by the-new-kid

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pit Bikes
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.