suspension

12 replies to this topic
  • drewpeacock

Posted July 29, 2005 - 06:03 PM

I just wonder why yamaha put such a weak suspension on our bikes? :D Why wouldn't they just put the same suspension they put on the yz is beyond me. I just pissed away how many hundreds of dollars to make it handle correctly. :D

• ncmountainman

Posted July 29, 2005 - 06:32 PM

its not that its weak,its just set up for a 170 lb woods rider. offroad valving is softer than MX therefore faster or heavier riders must modify it. your 04 wr suspension is really the the same stuff that was on the 03 yz just valved differently :D

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 29, 2005 - 09:01 PM

NC, how should it be adjusted in your opinion for a 275ish lb rider. What all have you done to yours?

• crfdude86

Posted July 29, 2005 - 09:57 PM

ys the suspension is not weak.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 30, 2005 - 04:50 AM

NC, how should it be adjusted in your opinion for a 275ish lb rider. What all have you done to yours?

i'm 6'4"-280-290lbs depending on how much beer i engulf that week. i run .52 fronts,6.0 titanium rear. and for the faster heavier riders i highly reccomend yz valving on your wr. and i regularly toast lighter people on the trails. BnB,man yesterday i just put on emig racing offset (22.7mm) clamps,they totally change the attitude of the bike.turns effortlessly and tighter,the suspension works better, even the high speed stability is better. your 04 wr would run the 03 yz clamps(46mm) this is by far the best thing i've done for the handling ever. $459 shipped with stem,rubber mounts,and solid top clamp. they are some HD mutha's,and lighter than the hurricanes i was running. :D

• bg10459

Posted July 30, 2005 - 05:06 AM

NC, you are one large feller. At 6'-5" 260, I'm close, but you must drink more beer :D . Anyway, did you do the YZ valving or did you send it out? I have a racetech 6.4 in the rear and everything upfront is stock. It seems my front soaks up the entire face of any jumps and bumps so that my tire sticks to the ground (this might not be so bad). I think I can manage the rear with the adjusters, just haven't dialed them in yet. I can do just about anything, but I have yet to tear into the shock or forks, other than the rear spring. Any suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:03 AM

My suspention is prefect but then again, I'm only 170 pounds. :D

• clark4131

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:07 AM

...I'm only 170 pounds. :D

Skinny little girl! The "binge and purge" technique is no way to prepare for a day of riding...SC

• drewpeacock

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:08 AM

its not that its weak,its just set up for a 170 lb woods rider. offroad valving is softer than MX therefore faster or heavier riders must modify it. your 04 wr suspension is really the the same stuff that was on the 03 yz just valved differently :D

OK OK OK, the suspension is Not WEAK, it's soft. (Like most of us in the middle)
However, it is my belief they could have made it more aggressive from the factory. I did have them valve it like the yz and it made a world of difference for this 5'9" 200lb. guy. .48fork springs with 7weight oil- 5.6back with 3 weight oil. Maybe a little stiff for some but I like it like that. :D Brock

• ncmountainman

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:35 AM

NC, you are one large feller. At 6'-5" 260, I'm close, but you must drink more beer :D . Anyway, did you do the YZ valving or did you send it out? I have a racetech 6.4 in the rear and everything upfront is stock. It seems my front soaks up the entire face of any jumps and bumps so that my tire sticks to the ground (this might not be so bad). I think I can manage the rear with the adjusters, just haven't dialed them in yet. I can do just about anything, but I have yet to tear into the shock or forks, other than the rear spring. Any suggestions?

no i trust the valving to the proffesionals, but i'd say you need to stiffen up the front to at least .50's or your gonna be having some serious dive issues :D

• Orangeman64

Posted July 30, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Glad to hear from the "big" guys out there. I'm 240 myself(w/o gear) and was starting to think I was too "large" to play in the dirt. I have a 5.4 on my bike right now but need to upgrade to a 5.8 (per race tech specs). For anyone thats not familiar with their site they have a calculator to check what size spring you require for your weight.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 30, 2005 - 07:55 PM

NC, thanks for yet another good pointer. I appreciate it.

• bg10459

Posted July 30, 2005 - 08:04 PM

BTW, I heard racetech undersizes your springs a bit on their calculator. I think they recommended a 6.2 in the rear for me and I got a 6.4. If anything, I would guess I need a slightly stiffer spring too. It's definitely not too stiff.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.