metal shavings on my oil filter

15 replies to this topic
  • Conan_'dale

Posted July 29, 2005 - 05:41 PM

2000 WR 400.

I get this bike used with the "low hours" sales pitch

I changed the oil after on long hard hot ride and found what I would consider a notable amount of silver metal shavings in my oil filter. Is this really bad new? If so what should I do at this point? :D

The bike starts 1-2 kicks and runs really good. Maybe the slider is cracked, I'm having intermittent high idles while on the trial... :D

• westrider03

Posted July 29, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Do you slip the clutch alot while you ride? Could be particles and wear from the clutch. :D

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:58 PM

From what I hear that is pretty normal. I too see shavings in my reusable filter. Do a search, there have been plenty of posts on this one.

• bluebike1999

Posted July 29, 2005 - 11:31 PM

how much is a noticeable amount. ?
when i changed my filter the first time ( bike had 2500ks) it had about 50 or so peices about .5mm square in it.
the next time i changed it it had possibly 5-9
next, only a couple maybe three
and the last two have not had any that i could see. it's possible if it is a low hours bike it is still 'bedding in'.
if there was half a teaspoon full, i'd worry.
i've actually kept all my old filters in the box the new one came in......not sure why.
but here is how much is in it.
the one in single pic is original reusable one, you can see bits in it.
I cut one of my latest ones up and there was bugger all in it.
http://img.photobuck...filter_0966.jpg
http://img.photobuck...filter_0968.jpg
hope that helps.

• wrkaholic

Posted July 30, 2005 - 07:48 AM

bluebike1999's pics look normal to me. I get flakes like this in both my WR426 and my son's YZ250F. :D

• Sylvain

Posted July 31, 2005 - 06:09 AM

bluebike1999's pics look normal to me. I get flakes like this in both my WR426 and my son's YZ250F. :D

I second that opinion. :D

The accumulated particles look normal. I just finished a 4 day ride of 1200 kms with no oil change and there wasn't much more flakes than you have.

• Conan_'dale

Posted July 31, 2005 - 06:35 AM

Thanks everyone! And thanks Bluebike1999 for the photos! That is what I have, just a hair more but very much inline with what you have. I did slip the clutch a lot on that ride, very technical.

This forum rocks! lots of good help here. I'd be lost with out everyone. :D

• timvv51

Posted July 31, 2005 - 06:40 AM

WOW I have never seen anything like that in any of my oil filters

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vibeguy

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:35 AM

Want to track the amount of metal your bike makes?

Wash the particles with solvent then stick them to a piece of clear tape, stick the clear tape inside the front or rear cover of your manual, note the date and amount of time on the oil change. This will give you or a prospective new owner a good idea of what is normal.

New bikes will make more metal the first few oil changes then should drop off to a fairly consistant amount. A sudden increase in the amount or type (ferrous/non-ferrous) is a good indication of an impending problem.

• dirtr1der

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:37 PM

Does anyone see flakes in their used oil as well??? I usually have some there along with the filter. Not a huge amount, but they are there each time I change my oil. My bike has almost 2000 miles on it. Just curious.

• bluebike1999

Posted July 31, 2005 - 08:38 PM

glad i found a reason to keep the old filters.
I hav'nt noticed any flakes in my oil because i put it straight into my old farm ute datsun 1200 or into chainsaw for bar oil.
in 110000k's the 1200 has had 1 oil change ( about 85000ks ago) and NO oil filter change. wait till i have a look in it.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 01, 2005 - 02:47 PM

I put in a Zip Ty magnetic oil drain plug a few years ago and it always has shavings stuck to it. I don't find much on the filter anymore.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted August 01, 2005 - 03:19 PM

I put in a Zip Ty magnetic oil drain plug a few years ago and it always has shavings stuck to it. ...

+1. The first time I changed the oil after I installed a magnetic oil drain plug, there was about an 1/8 of fine metal powder stuck to it. Now it's only just a couple thousand of inches.

Was shock the first time I changed that oil though. I didn't really like the thought of fine grade laping compound floating around inside my motor. :D

• knottyv8

Posted August 05, 2006 - 05:37 PM

just did a change on mine,and found about the same amount of metal flakes on my filter,as in the pic,is this norm is it?piston, rings,were done about 29hrs ago,I've only done about 10hrs myself since I've had it,and don't remember metal flakes like that in the last oil change,also can u get magnetic drain plugs,for a 99wr? as the ones they advertise on here don't seem to do that model,thanks

• 06WR450FSM

Posted August 05, 2006 - 10:58 PM

+1. The first time I changed the oil after I installed a magnetic oil drain plug, there was about an 1/8 of fine metal powder stuck to it. Now it's only just a couple thousand of inches.

Was shock the first time I changed that oil though. I didn't really like the thought of fine grade laping compound floating around inside my motor. :thumbsup:

What kind of filter are you using?

• bluebike1999

Posted August 06, 2006 - 01:13 AM

oh no, here comes the paper versus mesh debate again........
ah good healthy conjecture.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.