Increasing difficulty kick starting at the beginning of the day

8 replies to this topic
  • RippinInColorado

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:56 PM

When I first got my '03 YZ450, I developed a routine that got it to start on the 3rd-5th kick pretty much every time. I would turn on the gas, lean it over till some dribbled out, give it one twist of the throttle, and kick. 3rd, 4th, 5th kick - success. That made me pretty happy after being friends with YZ426 owners.

At some point, I put in a PowerNow and it started on the 1st or 2nd kick pretty much every time with the same routine. This made me VERY happy.

Over time, it has gotten harder and harder to start. It got to where it was the 10th or 12th or more kick to get it fired up at the beginning of the day. After I get it going the first time, it starts easily the rest of the day.

I did the valves a few weeks ago. Adjusted and cleaned the valves, new plug, new piston and rings, all the normal stuff.

No change in starting behavior. The last couple of rides, I've had to push start it the first time. :eek:

I typically twist the throttle once at the beginning of the day. This used to be very successful (as indicated above). Since I've been having trouble, I've tried no throttle, one twist, even two twists. I have friends who swear by 3 twists, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do that for fear I'd foul a plug. So I just find a hill and push start it.

Any thoughts? What's your first-time-of-the-day routine? Any ideas on why it has gone from being a breeze to start to now I look for a hill to park on top of? :applause:

Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2005 - 04:14 PM

I've always given the 450, or the 250, for that matter, 3 good twists one the first start of the day. 4 when it's cold. Leaning it over is a waste of time and too much work, if you ask me. Mine starts in two, every time, usually one.

My first thought is that it's time to check the valve clearance. Once you know that's OK, you can go from there.

• RippinInColorado

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:45 PM

I recently did the valves, so the clearances are right in spec.

It occurs to me that this has been happening as the weather got warmer. Perhaps it's a jetting issue. Or fuel screw. I'm not a jetting guru. I should lean it out for warmer weather? Just the fuel screw? Or the main jet? Or needle?

I'm at 5500 feet, so I've already leaned it out. I've heard they are a little lean on the pilot stock and I leaned it out further. I've been thinking about going back to stock on the pilot because a couple of friends did and think theirs run better. Would that help it start?

I guess I'll try 3 twists of the throttle next time. That's sure easier than pushing it up and then down a hill. I didn't have a spare plug with me the last couple of rides, so I was reluctant to risk fouling it.

More thoughts are welcome!

• 426_Pilot

Posted July 30, 2005 - 04:59 AM

I have a 426 so this may not apply, but I'm in the Denver area and as long as I've had the bike I've NEVER EVER twisted the throttle. Mine usually starts on 4th or 5th kick at the start of the day, and 1st every time thereafter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted July 30, 2005 - 04:59 AM

2 pumps of the throttle with the choke pulled,on the second kick pull the hot start lever,and keep it pulled in while it warms up,it should rev up. i have to do this dance when the temps and humidity get higher than normal. even if its jetted correctly to run. try turning in the fuel screw a little if that doesn't do it your more than likely rich on the pilot. you should be running 38-40 pj,160-62mj,3rd clip for this time of year at high altitude :D

• biznet1

Posted July 30, 2005 - 05:27 AM

I guess I'm fortunate. Choke, 1 twist, 1 kick. Ahhhhhh, that beautiful sound... :D

• RippinInColorado

Posted July 30, 2005 - 09:08 AM

Thanks, GrayRacer and MountainMan! I'll try MountainMan's approach first, if that doesn't work I'll give it a 3rd twist of the throttle.

I'm running a 42 pj, 162 main, clip is in the 3rd slot on the needle.

I always use the choke, even on hot days, when starting for the first time. Maybe mine doesn't like that; I may leave it off if the above doesn't work.

I hate a hard-starting bike, so it would be great if one of these tips works. I was ready to push it off a cliff and drive over it with my truck at the last ride -- parked at the bottom of big hill, only way to get it to start was to push it up the hill, then turn around and bump it. Very unhappy situation! There was a lake and a river nearby; the temptation was pretty strong to teach it a lesson. Which, of course, is ridiculous, but tempting nonetheless!

• 35yz450F

Posted July 30, 2005 - 09:53 AM

I was in the same boat as you (other than leaning the bike over) when the 100° weather hit. I dropped my pilot to #38. I dropped my needle to the #3 position. I'm running a #158 main which was in my bike from the dealer. I also changed my starter jet from #72 to #70 which seems to make the bike start better too. My bike lights more easily than it ever has now, hot or cold. When the cold weather comes back, I'm hoping to only lift my needle back up to the #4 clip position and play with the mixture screw.

• MisterMan

Posted July 30, 2005 - 11:50 AM

When I first got my '03 YZ450, I developed a routine that got it to start on the 3rd-5th kick pretty much every time. I would turn on the gas, lean it over till some dribbled out, give it one twist of the throttle, and kick. 3rd, 4th, 5th kick - success. That made me pretty happy after being friends with YZ426 owners.

At some point, I put in a PowerNow and it started on the 1st or 2nd kick pretty much every time with the same routine. This made me VERY happy.

Over time, it has gotten harder and harder to start. It got to where it was the 10th or 12th or more kick to get it fired up at the beginning of the day. After I get it going the first time, it starts easily the rest of the day.

I did the valves a few weeks ago. Adjusted and cleaned the valves, new plug, new piston and rings, all the normal stuff.

No change in starting behavior. The last couple of rides, I've had to push start it the first time. :D

I typically twist the throttle once at the beginning of the day. This used to be very successful (as indicated above). Since I've been having trouble, I've tried no throttle, one twist, even two twists. I have friends who swear by 3 twists, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do that for fear I'd foul a plug. So I just find a hill and push start it.

Any thoughts? What's your first-time-of-the-day routine? Any ideas on why it has gone from being a breeze to start to now I look for a hill to park on top of? :D

Thanks.

friends 250r was doing the same thing, he pulled the plug and it was eaten to hell,

check it, and replace it /w/ a ngk plug....that what he put in, now its a 2nd kick bike cold /w/ no choke.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.