Who Said Elephants Can't Fly!!!

13 replies to this topic
  • PowerCell

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Tim Morton of Baja Bound Adventures just sent me a couple of spectacular photos of the new BMW HP2... :applause:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• JackAttack

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:25 PM

SWEET pics! :applause:

That bike is probably 100lbs heavier than the 650R.

• justicedone

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Wrong forum???

he he

• PowerCell

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:58 PM

Wrong forum???

he he

... friggin' "L" riders... :applause:

• jws

Posted July 29, 2005 - 04:51 PM

Wrong forum???

he he

Thats what I thought when you guys started posting L stuff here :applause:

• justicedone

Posted July 29, 2005 - 06:21 PM

Friggin Douscheberg riders...ahhhhh

hey, any bike can can get to the top of the hill is a ok by me... :D

• frankstr

Posted July 29, 2005 - 06:31 PM

Nice pics...... :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:15 PM

That's cool, I saw an article and pictures of that new BMW in motorcyclist magazine, last month issue I think. Seems like it weighs somewhere close to or right at 400lbs.

• PowerCell

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Yes, it weighs somewhere around 400lbs. wet, but in race tune it carries an extra 70hp over the BRP.

Damit! I hate it when an "L" rider makes me feel small... Better go sell some bikes and get me a new capachino machine.

• irondude

Posted July 29, 2005 - 09:41 PM

I cant figure out that bike. Or why BMW is waisting its time and money. They build up this great Dakar effort for many years and then pull the plug. 5 years later they come out with a bike no one will ever buy.

Twin cylinder bikes are banned by both FIM and the AMA...even if there was a format for 400 lb dirt bikes with lousy shocks and questionable electronics. Dakar wont allow 2 cylinders over 450cc--so it cant even go to Africa.

Why would anyone buy it over a 950 KTM -- or other big bore dual sport.

400 lb desert bikes went out with the 1960's...

Dont get me wrong...its a real curiosity--and its nice to see new motorcycles--but what is the point?

• bork

Posted July 30, 2005 - 02:12 AM

950? OOOOOOOOOOO I didn't know that.

• PowerCell

Posted July 30, 2005 - 09:13 AM

Don't underestimate the BMW fan base. Rumor is dealers are only accepting bids for the limited production HP2's... and you better get out your checkbook if you want one...

• Naru

Posted July 30, 2005 - 10:50 AM

The way BMW has explained it is that the bikes are much like the M series for BMW cars. High performance, limited edition things that BMW is really not trying to sell. As a result, there will only be one allocated per dealer. Likewise, BMW is rumored to be planning the equivalent limited edition, high performance versions of other bikes in it's range for the same purpose.

• irondude

Posted July 30, 2005 - 05:58 PM

yeah i get all that.
I mean i assumed that was what they were doing. Like the Chrysler Maybach or the street legal Desmoduici 999...

But why would BMW get out of dakar, stop the limited production 900RR 3 years ago and now start it all up again. Just seems odd. I bought a BMW Dakar bike in 2001 and was stoked that they where coming out with all this dirt stuff--and then POOF--it all ended and even my local BMW dealer said--hey they are getting out of dirt stuff and going back to their roots...now it seems weird that someone in Germany has done yet another 180...been burned once by them--wont be buying this time.

I give it 2 years max. :D

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.