Oil usage 650L

5 replies to this topic
  • Kinsman

Posted July 29, 2005 - 07:08 AM

I have a 94 650L with about 13,000 miles.
I notice that after a couple hundred miles I need to add about half a quart or so of oil.

Seem like too much?

• GIANTac1

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:30 PM

I dont think it is. I just changed my oil and filter yesterday and added 2 1/2 quarts. Owners man. calls for 2.06? Trust your dip stick :D JMHO

• LotsOfBikes

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:12 AM

Mine started losing oil right after I installed the Acerics 6.0 gallon tank. No air can get under the tank and cool the oil that is in the frame. It probably uses about a quart every 600 miles commuting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rokklym

Posted July 30, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Mine started losing oil right after I installed the Acerics 6.0 gallon tank. No air can get under the tank and cool the oil that is in the frame. It probably uses about a quart every 600 miles commuting.

Hmmm..
I have the Clarke 4.7 tank and lose oil also. I can't hardly believe that its the heat thats causing it, but I don't know anything about motors so who knows.

That being said, would an oil cooler help keep from losing oil? I heard you can use one from an XR400 or something like that.

Here is a pic of an oil cooler setup
Posted Image

• roadcam

Posted July 31, 2005 - 08:31 AM

Summers Racing Components (SRC) sells a full kit that puts the XR400 oil cooler on XRs, including my XR650L .... will probably be my next mod .. (more $$$ in my bikes than my home) ... the bachelor's budget :D

• rokklym

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Summers Racing Components (SRC) sells a full kit that puts the XR400 oil cooler on XRs, including my XR650L .... will probably be my next mod .. (more $$$ in my bikes than my home) ... the bachelor's budget :D

Its good to see others with their priorities straight!

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look up those guys.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.