Is there any reason I should choose an XR650L over a DRZ400s?

8 replies to this topic
  • rizzoss669

Posted July 28, 2005 - 11:55 AM

I posted this in the DRZ forum too. Just wanted to see what you guys think....

Brief history:

I had a 2002 DRZ. Absolutely loved it. It got stolen. I cried.

I wanted something more streetworthy so I bought a KLR650. It's a fat, slow, pig. Completely boring. I'm going to sell it.

Now, I'm probably going to get another DRZ. But, should I even bother looking at the XR650L or is it going to seem like old, fat technology compared to the DRZ?

I ride 99% street. 90% of that is just ripping around the city and twisties but I would like to ride the freeway for 30 miles or so occassionally.

Any advice? Thanks fellas.

• Motosprtman

Posted July 28, 2005 - 12:45 PM

From what I know and understand from owning an XR650L myself it is far better then the Z for alot of road use, the Z although more technologically advanced - is buzzy at freeway speeds and does not have near the torque of the XR650L. The XR650L is far away a MUCH better bike than the KLR. IMHO.

• captb

Posted July 28, 2005 - 01:06 PM

Find a dealer that has a used 650L and try to get a test ride.

• roadcam

Posted July 29, 2005 - 07:50 AM

I love Suzooks, always have ... for your type riding, you probably would be happier with the Suzuki DR650 .... much more road-worthy, dependable as a hammer ... my Honda XR650L would have the advantage in the rough stuff, but the DR650 would be much more civil on the highway ... either one, you'll be happy, but DRZ400 for highway ... nope, nope

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lrutt

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:31 AM

tons more power on the L. My son has a 400sm and while it's a nice little bike, it sure doesn't have the balls of my L, even after we piped and jetted his 400.

• ghoti

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:34 AM

I posted this in the DRZ forum too. Just wanted to see what you guys think....

Brief history:

I had a 2002 DRZ. Absolutely loved it. It got stolen. I cried.

I wanted something more streetworthy so I bought a KLR650. It's a fat, slow, pig. Completely boring. I'm going to sell it.

Now, I'm probably going to get another DRZ. But, should I even bother looking at the XR650L or is it going to seem like old, fat technology compared to the DRZ?

I ride 99% street. 90% of that is just ripping around the city and twisties but I would like to ride the freeway for 30 miles or so occassionally.

Any advice? Thanks fellas.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=253131

Some light reading, but everything you need to know is in the title.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:34 AM

if you are going to do so much street riding, go for the l simpley because it is better on the street. it is still a "pig" but it is much more dirt worthey than the klr.

• CrackiN

Posted July 31, 2005 - 05:27 AM

My brother converted an XR650R to dual sport and it is the schizznit on the dirt and street....

• justicedone

Posted July 31, 2005 - 08:11 AM

A converted R is a Sic beast..but some of us are too old fat and lazy to kick the monster (yes I know they have a kit) so I put in for a more comfy button model, that cruises the beaches as nicely as the trails.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.