serviceing on a WR450F

12 replies to this topic
  • dave-29

Posted July 28, 2005 - 11:31 AM

hi there i have just bought a 04 WR450F had it now a little over a week well today i had a quick read of the owners manual (as u do) well it say that you should get the piston piston rings valves and a load of other stuff checked every 1000kms is this what you should do because that would cost loads or is that just overkill ? i agree with the oil changes but the rest just seems over done help please

• farkawi

Posted July 28, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Maintenance intervals vary a lot dependent upon your riding style. AA class enduro racers, Desert, and Super Motard racers need to do a lot more maintenance than the casual trail rider. Clean oil and a clean air filter can do wonders for the longevity of any dirt scooter. I know riders that wear out two and three rear tires to my one.

• Matty05

Posted July 29, 2005 - 12:42 AM

Personally I would get everything checked at the start then you know where you
stand with your bike when you have problems.

It depends on your riding style to how quickly things wear out but your bike is second
hand so unless you really know the history, It is worth while.

Yamaha's are really reliable, but only if they have been looked after.

Valve clearances on yamaha's are really great at staying with in spec. The 5 valve head design allows the valves to slam against the seats with a lot less force than
the traditional 4 valve design. This is the reason I went with a Yamaha in the first place. Honda's have a big problem with this.

• dave-29

Posted July 29, 2005 - 01:01 AM

my riding level is pretty low i plod along green laneing mainly and and a few plods along the streets

• gregwr450f

Posted July 29, 2005 - 01:03 AM

I think it's over kill, like Matty05 said maybe get it checked and if it's ok change the oil evry 400/500km and get the valves checked every 1000km or 1500km and enjoy your riding.
I have 3800km on my 04 and the valves have only needed attention once.

• dave-29

Posted July 29, 2005 - 01:30 AM

is having the valves checked a big job ?
what about adjusting them big big job ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ample

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:39 AM

Checking the valves is not a big job at all....Shimming the buckets (if your valves are out of spec) is a big job. It involves removing the Cams, timing chain, buckets, shims, etc. Finding the correct sized shims to put the clearance back into spec (most dealers don't carry these), then getting the whole mess back together with the correct timing.

With my level of wrenching ability, I decided to check the valves myself, but if I ever find them out of spec, I'll prolly haul it into the dealers for a professional to shim.

• clark4131

Posted July 29, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Doing the valves is not technically difficult. The manual gives a great explanation of how to do it and there are a bunch of articles around the net with step by step instructions complete with pictures. The only difficult part is finding someplace that carries the shims you'll need to get things back into spec. I just went and bought a bunch of various sized shims from the TT Store and have them on hand when I do mine again this Fall. The hardest part I found was getting the cams back in at the proper alignment. Other than that, all you need to do is go slow and make sure you're familiar with the process before you turn your first wrench. I did it for the first time at work and I went so slow that it took me 5 hours to do it. When I go for it again, it may take me 90 minutes at the most. The best part was that I really got to learn the bike. To do it right, you need patience, shims, angled feeler gauges, a good quality 1/4" torque wrench, a magnetic probe, assembly lube and a little initiative. If you have all that, you're golden...SC

• wrooster

Posted July 29, 2005 - 06:28 AM

is having the valves checked a big job ?
what about adjusting them big big job ?

from the 250F FAQ index page (99% of which pertains to the 450F's as well)

for adjusting the valve clearances, you will need a shim kit. see my post here:

you will also want to see the following FAQ maintenance guides...

and the following FAQ guides related to jetting...

and the following "cool tips"...

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• WGP

Posted July 29, 2005 - 07:44 AM

My 05 is hitting 1000 miles, so I'm looking at lubing the steering set-up, lubing the swingarm, and changing the front fork oil, I'm not sure I'm up for this on my own, how much do you think a shop would charge? Or should I do it myself? I've never done it before.

• wrooster

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:24 AM

lubing the steering set-up

rating: EASY.
time: 1 hr.

lubing the swingarm

rating: EASY/MID
time: 2.5 hrs.

changing the front fork oil

rating: EASY/MID
time: 2 hrs.

I'm not sure I'm up for this on my own, how much do you think a shop would charge?

about US$75-90/hr, or roughly $500 for the above. never had it done at a dealer so i don't know how accurate my estimate is.

Or should I do it myself? I've never done it before.

start with the steering stem, and follow the directions in the FAQ page i linked to above. it is not difficult at all, and will give you a feel for your mechanical abilities vs the complexity of the bike. hint: you don't have to take ANYTHING off your handlebars.
greasing the linkage is not difficult, just time consuming. get up early on a rainy saturday, grab a big cup of coffee, and you'll be done by noontime. see the howto in the FAQ linked above.
changing the fork oil is also not difficult. again, just follow the FAQ and take your time.

you'll save money and learn about your bike at the same time. and don't worry -- there are ~50K TT'ers to help you out...

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• WGP

Posted July 29, 2005 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the encouragment :applause:

• Martys

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:02 PM

A DVD will be released tomorrow by that shows how to check and adjust the older 250. 400 and 426. It shows in detail how to change shims too. The DVD doesn't specifically cover the 450, but you can probably figure out the minor differences.

Good luck

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.