fender bobbed and drilled pics

9 replies to this topic
  • roadcam

Posted July 28, 2005 - 07:02 AM

I guess I'm just cheap, but I got bored ... bobbed about 6" off the 'beak' and drilled 4 big holes in my front 'humungo' fender of my 'L' ... I don't run a thermometer, but it looks as though it will flow cooling air a lot better than stock, and doesn't look too bad
http://i15.photobuck...650Lproject.jpg
http://i15.photobuck...am/eaf4ff6c.jpg
:applause:

• goblin127

Posted July 28, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Looks good I have benn thinking of doing that to the back of the fender,never thought of the front.

• HondaRules

Posted July 28, 2005 - 11:51 AM

You did a great job from what I can tell in the pics. How much did you chop off, about 4"?

• roadcam

Posted July 29, 2005 - 02:16 AM

I didn't measure it, mostly just eye-balled it so it improved airflow, between 5-6", if you cut too much off the front, debris will fly up ahead of the tip, and you'll catch it in the face, don't overdo it

• khelton

Posted July 29, 2005 - 04:13 AM

Slick !! Have been thinking of doing same on my front acerbis..really cleaned up the look....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted July 29, 2005 - 08:40 PM

I just put on a Clarke 4.0 gal. gas tank and my bike runs alot hotter. I read 285 degrees F. on my dipstick thermometer while doing 75-85 for about 10 miles then decided I better let up :D I was able to pull that off w/the stock tank and wings all day without breaking 260 degrees F. I heard 300 was about as hot as you want to let it get? Looks like you have a good idea that I am going to try out :D

• truck6driver

Posted July 30, 2005 - 06:02 PM

I did not cut the front part of the fender. I did cut the rear part of the front fender to allow more air to the cylinder for cooling. The only problem is that heavy mud will cake up if you are not careful. The front does need a good wack job though. Yours looks good.

RH

• CrackiN

Posted July 31, 2005 - 05:04 AM

I have also cut the front and rear of my front fender but WARNING...If you cut too much off the front of the fender everything that the front tire slings off will be coming back at ya...I learned that the hard way.....

• Dual_Dog

Posted July 31, 2005 - 07:57 PM

Well your post got me going, too. I've got the Clarke 4.0 and that bulbous front fender definitely inhibits air flow so I too have joined the "bobbit" club. I got tired of that platypus or duck bill look also.

First I drilled (8) 7/8" holes at the rear. I still wasn't satisfied with that so I lopped 3 1/2" off the front. Now it doesn't flop around as much, air gets directed to the upper part of the head and it gives it that all-important psuedo SM look...well, maybe not. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Let me know what you guys think. :D

• FOUR STOKED

Posted July 31, 2005 - 09:11 PM

I took about 1 inch off the back of mine but the front never occurred to me. I might still drill a few holes at the back above where I cut after seeing yours Roadcam :D The front looks sano too :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.