this might sound stupid but...

7 replies to this topic
  • honduhman

Posted July 28, 2005 - 04:28 AM

Has anyone tried to change their 426 or 450 into a motard. I was just doing some thinking and i am really into street riding, and I was wondering if it would be possible to make my 04 450 into a streetable motard. I don't know much about re-titling and what not, but i was curious so i asked...thanks guys

• phat_450f

Posted July 28, 2005 - 04:51 AM

i believe they sell a kit. once you get the kit installed then you have to get it looked at by the sheriff department or the dmv(i am not sure) they will be able to legalize it for registration.

• viggen

Posted July 28, 2005 - 04:57 AM

my brother plans on doing this is the coming months. However I suggested that he gets something with electric start like a WR due to it not being a good idea to kickstart a 400+ cc bike without trail riding boots on.

Supposidley there are kits available which have all the lights, turnsignals etc which I beleive are under $500. Also the wheel sets my brother has been pricing are in the $1000 range.

• honduhman

Posted July 29, 2005 - 11:20 AM

any clue where a good place to buy the wheel sets is?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • henrysdad

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:25 PM

Do some research and find out if you can register a MX bike for the road in your state. Before you spend money.
I have one and it is incredibly fun. If you are willing to put up with an uncomfortable seat. turns out I don't ride the street anymore ,but I like the option.

I have the cheapo lighting coil .My lights suck. I don't have signals either. the E-line charging system is the thing to use.check out baja design for dual sport parts. You can find stuff in the Thumper Talk store too.

• Flash319

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:33 PM

Get the WR if you want it street legal. The kit is $500 for the lights and stuff. If you have a YZ you will be in the same boat as me, that is needing a WR stator and rotor to make power for the lights. The YZ stator does not make enough power. The WR stator is another $500 so it is hard to say what way is better. You can make the WR run like a YZ cheaper then 500 bucks. :applause:

• Flash319

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:35 PM

oops thought you were buying a bike. You need a WR stator still. $1000 to make street, plus rims and tires. :applause:

• yzf450jack

Posted July 29, 2005 - 03:56 PM

Go down to DMV to see all the requirements for the change over before you do any thing . In California you can't do the change over any more :applause:

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.