Should I go synthetic now at 1000K?

11 replies to this topic
  • skidxr

Posted July 27, 2005 - 10:55 PM

Hey guys,,, I'm about to hit 1000K on the 450 and was wondering if I should switch to synthetic now.. Any thoughts? Everything I have read in past post point to yes but I want an up to date opinion from you guys... Crazy how much TT makes you want to know what the heck people think... :applause: :) :p :eek:

• Matty05

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:05 PM

You engine should be broken in and making great power now.
I think it is a good time to switch to synthetic.

I really don't feel that it is necessary to use synthetics as long as you make regular
oil changes. But on the other hand, if you want maximum protection,
you cant get any better.

• gregwr450f

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:08 PM

Yes......................................

• Strattos

Posted July 28, 2005 - 02:11 AM

I've been using Yamalube which is semi synthetic.

I've heard fully sythetic can cause clutch slippage dramas, as the oil's basically too slippery for the way the WR's are designed, though I've never tried it out myself.

• walent215

Posted July 28, 2005 - 04:15 AM

syn is your best bet imo with the hi rev 4 strokes nowadays.

• 5valve

Posted July 28, 2005 - 07:25 AM

you cant go wrong with any
some use semi, others full and both have their beliefs into each superiority
the bottom line is..use specified oil viscosity, keep oil level correct, change regularly, depending on the abuse
dont use those extra cheap oils

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • farkawi

Posted July 28, 2005 - 08:41 AM

I switched to Royal Purple synthetic at 300mi. No ill effects.

• storm 800

Posted July 28, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I use Amsoil in eveything! I love what it did for my WR400. Starts smoother revs quicker AN NO CLUTCH SLIP. Even that anoying drip from the breather tube has just about dissapered. Just make sure you use somthing wet clutch compatible. With the Amsoil I got about 20 degrees cooler on the head too.

• RichBaker

Posted July 28, 2005 - 03:14 PM

I went with Castrol ACT-EVO at around 300 miles...full synth and no clutch issues. Most of the slipping clutches were due to use of automotive "Energy Conserving" oils. They have additives that don't get along with a wet clutch. Any motorcycle-specific synthetic is safe.

• bg10459

Posted July 28, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I just switched to Mobil red cap 15w50, full synthetic. No problems. I agree, definitely DO NOT use energy conserving oils. They have friction modifiers that will adversely affect the clutch.

• dman450f

Posted July 28, 2005 - 07:17 PM

hey skid,when I picked up my new 450 this week the shop guys told me they ALWAYS take the factory yam lube out and put in golden spectro syn blend before they send out the new WRs. my bike has about 3 hours on it and runs primo! did the mods and AIS removal kit , JD jet kit,and the bike screams! I laughed when I rode the bike in stock form for the first hour!cant belive they send them out the door that way.see ya!

• wrooster

Posted July 29, 2005 - 06:38 AM

I've heard fully sythetic can cause clutch slippage dramas, as the oil's basically too slippery for the way the WR's are designed, though I've never tried it out myself.

http://www.thumperta...5364#post605364

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.