Wrecked 05 WR450, need repair advice

4 replies to this topic
  • Jah WR

Posted July 27, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Well, at least I made it through 3 weeks with the new bike before I looped it out :eek: . After lamenting the broken rear fender and bent muffler, I got her restarted and rode away only to notice that the handle bars required that I turn to the right to get the bike to track straight. Initially, I though the handle bars were bent but I noticed the upper triple clamp was turned slightly to the right as well. Cant really tell with the lower fork clamp. I put it up on the stand and there is a definite twist somewhere. The forks seem to work fine with no binding. I'm surprised because I didn't think it hit that hard on the right side.

How do I fix this? Perhaps, loosen all fork clamps and try to twist the front wheel back straight? Is it likely more involved than that? :applause:

Thanks

• ddialogue

Posted July 27, 2005 - 06:03 PM

Perhaps, loosen all fork clamps and try to twist the front wheel back straight?

That's the first thing I would attempt...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drewpeacock

Posted July 27, 2005 - 06:08 PM

:applause: sell it fast! How much? :eek: I'd bet if you loosen it up it'll straighten back out. Let us know. BTW Welcome.
Brock

• Jah WR

Posted July 28, 2005 - 05:41 PM

Thanks, loosened fork clamps and axle clamps and got everything to move back in line. I just wasn't sure if this was a common occurance as I haven't ridden in 20+ years.

• Johnny34

Posted July 28, 2005 - 07:19 PM

Thanks, loosened fork clamps and axle clamps and got everything to move back in line. I just wasn't sure if this was a common occurance as I haven't ridden in 20+ years.

I had virtually the same thing happen to me after I launched of the side of a hill. I thought I bent the forks or twisted the upper and lower triple clamps. Turns out the bolts were not as tight as they should be, (or loosened during the break-in) and the front just twisted slightly out of alignment.

I spoke to a mechanic about this and was told I'd have to crash REALLY hard to bend the forks. For a couple of days, I was sweating bullets.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.