ok so far but now...

18 replies to this topic
  • 800screws

Posted July 27, 2005 - 02:50 PM

i did the decomp mod with the hot cam and adjusted the valves. everything was still in time before i buttoned it up. now it will not start. it has the beginnings of starting...like a duh duh duh, but it won't go. any ideas.

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2005 - 03:02 PM

What happens if you give it a couple extra squirts?

If you used a Hot Cams camshaft that was made for a 426, you should have timed it using thetiming marks on the sprocket, and not by counting pins. Did you?

• 800screws

Posted July 27, 2005 - 03:32 PM

yeah, it's timed with the marks. i tried the couple of squirts of gas, but then i smelt gas, so i think i flooded it. (although i do use that technique before i did this and it started right up). i'm gonna leave it and see if it starts tomorrow, since the carb was empty when i put it back together. should i try to pop start it and see if it starts after that? i'd really hate to take it apart again...

• Satch0922

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:07 PM

why not call HotCams for technical support .... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:08 PM

You could bump it off, but you should be able to clear it. Raise the idle speed, crack the throttle, or crank it few times with the throttle open. Sounds like you might have gotten it a little wet. Once it gets lit, trimming up the fuel screw should make it behave better.

• 800screws

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:17 PM

well, i took off the head, just to check the clearances again and i got these readings looking at the head from the shifter side of the bike.

exhuast ------------ == intake
.10 out ------------- .002 out

.029 out ------------- good

-------------- .002 out

would these clearances make it hard to start? i probably will shim it again, but just wondering if this is the reason.

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:48 PM

I'm afraid I don't follow what you're telling us about your valve clearances, but it doesn't look good.

Tight valves, particularly tight intake valves, will certainly make it hard, if not impossible to start.

If you want me to look at the clearances, please present them as actual measurements for the left and right exhausts, and the left, center, and right intake.

• 800screws

Posted July 29, 2005 - 12:28 PM

ok, with the left side being the shifter side, it goes like this
exhaust left valve is .10mm out of clearance
right valve is .029mm out of clearance

intake left valve is .02mm out of clearance
middle valve is in clearance
right valve is .02mm out of clearance

clearance being .2-.25mm for the exhaust and .1-.15mm for the intake

i'll be going to alaska this week, but i will check this post when i come back. thanks

• 800screws

Posted August 07, 2005 - 05:59 AM

help!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2005 - 08:13 AM

I'm sure we went over this already, but once again, please present your valve clearances as actual measurements for the left and right exhausts, and the left, center, and right intake.

You're telling us they are out of spec, but which way? Can't tell.

• yzf450jack

Posted August 07, 2005 - 08:27 AM

Put it on TDC start putting feeler gauge's in there till it snug now what's the number on the feeler gauge :D

• 800screws

Posted August 07, 2005 - 09:45 AM

ok, with the left side being the shifter side, it goes like this
exhaust left valve is .229mm
right valve is .305mm

intake left valve is .152mm
middle valve is .127mm
right valve is .152mm

clearance being .2-.25mm for the exhaust and .1-.15mm for the intake

these are the measurements marked on the feeler guage.
sorry about that repeating the same info.

i left the intakes alone and reshimmed the exhaust. i also put in a decomp cam (hotcam brand). i lined up the timeing marks and followed exactly how to do it with TT instructions. the compression feels really low? is this how it should feel with the new cam? and i can not get it to start. it backfired and that's it.

• 800screws

Posted August 07, 2005 - 11:29 AM

i took the head off again, all the clearances are ok, but the kickstarter is pretty light in the stroke. is this normal with the decomp mod? and alas all it does it backfire.

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2005 - 12:58 PM

OK, let me repeat my self. Was the Hot Cams cam you bought made for a 426, or for a 450? If you used a Hot Cams camshaft that was made for a 426, you should have timed it using the timing marks on the sprocket, and not by counting pins. The TT instructions for using a 450 cam in a 426 should not be used in timing an aftermarket decomp cam made to be used in a 426 to begin with. That may be your problem. Use only the instructions that came with the cam if that is the case.

• 800screws

Posted August 07, 2005 - 01:40 PM

it was made for the 426. the timing marks are aligned with the top of the engine and the lopes are facing away from each other and the lines are matching at the stator...? anything else i should check?

should the kicker be that easy to kick?

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2005 - 03:40 PM

I don't know how easy "that easy" is, but it will be much easier than without autodecompression, yes. The engine should still generate about 100 psi of compression with AD. Before, it was more like 200.

It sounds like you did the timing right. Check the plug and be sure you have decent spark.

• 800screws

Posted August 07, 2005 - 03:48 PM

ok, it was my fault, i took the top off yet again and the right side exhaust shim was too big. i went with a 155. it started on the first kick. now it seems to have more engine noise..? kinda sounds like u can hear the chain turning. it's been over two weeks since i ran it and it has been awhile since i started it up in an enclosed space, so i'm not sure if i'm overreacting...i can't remember how the engine sounded before. i'd rather not ride it or give it gas if some engine noise is not normal. if it's not normal what should i check now?

• Daz_426_02

Posted August 08, 2005 - 12:53 AM

Did you put a healthy amount of oil on the cam bearing caps when you installed the cam? Make sure you have re-engaged the cam tentioner (unscrewed the adjuster and let it move out on its own) These engines are quite noisy and from what i have read on TT a lot of people do some work on their bikes and only then do they actually listen for how noisy the motor is. As we cant actually hear the engine its difficult to tell.

Now that you have put the new cam in i personally would put some new oil and a new filter in, and change the oil after the first ride. New cam and motor need to bed in and inevitably there will be a small amount of wear while they seat.

Just my 2cents...

• 800screws

Posted August 08, 2005 - 02:55 AM

yup, i used assembly lube and changed the oil before i started it. that could be what i am hearing.

any more suggestions?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.