Scotts oil filler clearance?

2 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted March 10, 2001 - 07:04 AM

I up bolted up the Scotts damper last night on my 99 and the instructions said to take the entire casting tang, off of the back, of the triple clamp. I really don't have the equipement to do this and have it look "clean". So I used a file and took off enought for a .125" gap between the TC and oil filler post tower bracket.

I this enough? I can't see where there would be that much flex in this area.

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vincent

Posted March 10, 2001 - 09:34 AM

I have the Scotts damper oil filler mount on my 99 WR.

I had to grind about 1/8 " off each corner of that rectangular block at the back of the triple clamp. I used a flexible sanding wheel mounted to my electric drill...this made it quite painless.

The most important fitment thing with this type of mount is to mount the top of the mount flush with the top of the filler neck. This allows for the best clearance between the triple clamp and the mount and also allows clearance for the dipstick.

• mcarp

Posted March 10, 2001 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, you may have to do a little grinding/filing. Make sure there's clearance lock to lock. I've hacked the crap out of mine (damn frame collar clamp), the triple clamp doesn't appear to be any weaker.

Nothing like a little customization to make the bike your own :)

Enjoy the damper!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.