To Rev or to Die!?

6 replies to this topic
  • Smiticus

Posted July 27, 2005 - 01:30 PM

So, just recently my bike has been dying on me when I tweek the throttle just the slightest bit, but sometimes it revs up just fine. This is when it's both cold and hot. I spoke with the yama dealer and he said it sounds like a prob with the needle and that I should drop it one notch.

To be honest I've never fiddled with the needle since I got the bike and I've heard it can be a pain. I did a search and couldn't find anything on this forum. Is there anyone with some detailed experience who could guide me through adjusting the needle, so I dont get anymore frustrated!? I know its located in the top half of the carb'...and that's about it. I'm running a 160 main and 40 pilot at about 4700 feet, if that helps.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 27, 2005 - 03:15 PM

Has the weather or your altiude changed significantly? If not, then your jetting is not the problem. Don't fiddle with any jetting at all until you clean out the carb good. You would be surprised at what something as simple as a clogged pilot jet can do.

• Satch0922

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:08 PM

Sirthump hit the nail on the head. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ride yzf all the way

Posted July 27, 2005 - 07:12 PM

its running to lean yamaha paid for mine the carbs running to lean

• Smiticus

Posted July 27, 2005 - 09:23 PM

I just recently cleaned the poop out of the carb, but I'll do her one more time. I just got back from riding and it's strange how I just barely tweak the throttle in a higher gear and it will sound and feel like it's gonna cut out, and when I'm in 1st it sometimes will, unless I gun it.

I'll clean the carb again and try her out from there.

Thanks dudes!

• MisterMan

Posted July 27, 2005 - 09:58 PM

it may be the TPC (throttle position sensor) have the dealership check it. at least I wouldent touch it!!

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 28, 2005 - 02:53 AM

When you clean the carb, be sure to shoot cleaner followed by air through every hole you see. Especially the two air holes on the back side (airbox side). Those tend to collect any tidbits that make it by the filter and when they clog you can get all sorts of off-idle issues.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.