XR650L Stalls, won't idle, can't be ridden

5 replies to this topic
  • Gabbypig

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:23 PM

Aloha from Honolulu,

I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster looking for help with my Dad's 2002 XR650L. Completely stock with about 600 road miles on the clock.

His bike is used maybe 4 times a year at a vacation house. He has developed a problem that currently prevents the bike from being ridden.

On his last ride, out of nowhere the bike dies on the road. If he immediately tries to start the bike, it won't. If he lets it sit a few minutes, it will start, run o.k. for about a minute then sputter, stall and die. Lots of popping and backfiring as it starts to die.

He lets the gas sit in the tank and carb between rides (3 ~ 4 months) and rarely pushes the bike hard. Before his last ride he added a small amount of Techron to his tank to address the stale gas / varnish issue I warned him about.

My intial thoughts are 1.) float bowl out of whack, 2.) clogged jet(s).

I tried changing the gas and no difference with fresh fuel. The fuel delivery to the carb is strong, so I doubt it is a petcock or fuel strainer issue. It really feels and sounds like a fuel starvation issue.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 27, 2005 - 02:10 PM

Could be a failing CDI, just to throw a non-fuel issue out there.
You probably need to pull the bowl and make sure the carb is clean.
There could be water in the gas- it can do funny things. Drain the carb into a clear glass and look for water in the bottom. Pull the bowl off the bottom of the petcock as well.
Right after it dies loosen the carb drain screw and see if you get fuel.

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 29, 2005 - 11:30 PM

If there is fuel after draining from the carb drain screw, what does that imply?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BOLT Performance

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:01 AM

If there is fuel after draining from the carb drain screw, what does that imply?

That it isn't running out of fuel and probably has a clogged jet or dirty carb... if it's not an electrical failure.

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:26 AM

Ahhh, cool. Thanks.

• Motosprtman

Posted September 30, 2005 - 05:20 AM

with only 600 miles on it and knowing that it mostly remains idle, I would bet it is a fuel related problem and highly unlikely ot be an electrical / ignition problem. Pop the carb off and clean it out. Then change the plug and take it for a good long ride.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.