05 Wr450

8 replies to this topic
  • Tbone81

Posted July 27, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Just got it and ride between 3000-8000'. I have about 60 miles on it now and have installed an FMF Q pipe, skid plate and radiator guards. It really runs good at the upper rpm level but stumbles mid range (saw the jetting thread and will experiment). I have not cut the grey wire or performed any jetting thus far. Would like suggestions for improvements. This is a really nice bike; I was riding an 87 XR600 and the weight/suspension and acceleration are a lot nicer on the WR.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:35 PM

Try and disconnect your TPS on the left side of the carb and see if your midrange stutter goes away. It only takes a few seconds. If not then rejetting will be necessary to richen the midrange. :applause:

• SXP

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Hey Indy - Did you get 490cc by boring only, or did you also stroke? Who did you use. Thanks :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 27, 2005 - 06:21 PM

I was going to stroke it with a Falicon heavy stroker crank to a 502 kit but they wanted 10 weeks to deliver it. I had to rebuild her with a standard new crank. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tbone81

Posted August 01, 2005 - 07:09 PM

OK disconnected and ran fine but terrible backfire so I reconnected. I was at 8,000 ft plus. It runs OK but the way it ran with the TPS disconnected was great. Just need that backfire to go away.

• johunter666

Posted August 01, 2005 - 09:02 PM

Spend $65 for the JD jet kit and another $20 for the zip-tie fuel screw. If you like your bike now, you will LOVE it after these mods. Go to the jetting forum to get hints on the setup. :D :D

05 wr450
fmf Q, jd jet kit, zip-tie fuel screw

• extex

Posted August 02, 2005 - 05:42 AM

Also, remove the AIS. TT sells a plug kit.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 02, 2005 - 06:48 AM

I'm not sure what main jet you have in there now, but that or the needle position has got to be the culprit (I'm assuming the grey wire is pulled).

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 02, 2005 - 06:49 AM

[quote name='Dan_Lorenze']I'm not sure what main jet you have in there now, but that or the needle position has got to be the culprit, you've got to cut the grey wire too.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.