Baffle removal on a 05 WR450F

14 replies to this topic
  • Al Curtis

Posted July 27, 2005 - 06:58 AM

I live in the tree hugging, noise Nazi State of California and I was wondering if anyone has removed the baffle from the stock pipe, and if so how hard was it to remove? How is the sound level and has anyone been tested by the noise Nazi's?

• hotthrottle613

Posted July 27, 2005 - 07:41 AM

I have an '05 WR450F aand also live in CA. If you remove the end cap from the muffler, you can drill out the rivets to the inner baffle and pull it out. I did that, and since then have removed the entire baffle replacing the screws so that the spark arrester is still in. I ride at Carnegie all the time and have had no problem with the noise level. It still is quieter than most of the strokers out there. It also gives a boost to horsepower. Give it a try! I got the info from the mechanic where I bought the bike. JD Jetting kit is on it's way, my next step in mods.

• hotthrottle613

Posted July 27, 2005 - 07:45 AM

If you haven't already done so, and can only twist the throttle half open, spend $10 and get a throttle stop screw for a YZ450. It takes about two minutes to replace and gives you wide open capabilities.

• Al Curtis

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:44 AM

I had the dealer remove the wr stop so right now I don't have a stop at all. Do you know if that is going to be a problem? :applause:

• Al Curtis

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Thanks, I'll try it. I have done all of the mods, AIS removed, throttle stop, pipe tip, re jetted, I put in a YZ needle, Grey wire, and snorkel removed. :applause: This will probably be my last mod but, then again maybe not.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted July 27, 2005 - 09:41 AM

I had the dealer remove the wr stop so right now I don't have a stop at all. Do you know if that is going to be a problem? :applause:

This is not wise. You do want the YZ trottle stop in there.

Without the throttle stop in there, it is possible to open up your throttle too far and jam up the linkage (that moves the slide up and down) inside your carberator. It might not happen right now, but it could once parts start to get a little bit of wear and tear on them. When this does happen, then your throttle is stuck WIDE OPEN. So hang on tight. :eek:

• Al Curtis

Posted July 27, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Thanks, I will be putting in the YZ stop today.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hotthrottle613

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:22 PM

It could cause the throttle to stick if you pin it. I changed the stop screw rather than omitting it on the mechanic's advice.

• dman450f

Posted July 28, 2005 - 07:54 PM

just took my baffle out,did the free mods, AIS removal, JD jet kit, bike rips now, no back fires at all!

• Al Curtis

Posted August 04, 2005 - 02:29 PM

Wasn't the baffle welded in? :D

• Blue Rocket

Posted August 04, 2005 - 04:19 PM

There's a bit of confusion when somebody talks about removing the baffle from the muffler. When you take the endcap off the '05 muffler you will see a pipe that funnels the exhaust out of the endcap and it also extends into the spark arrestor. That pipe and spark arrestor are both held on by 4 bolts. I call this pipe the baffle. In the end of the baffle there is a plastic plug riveted in with 2 rivets. I call this a restrictor. Some people call this plastic part a baffle.

I've taken out the entire baffle but bolted the spark arrestor back in.
When i bought the bike, the dealer removed/replaced the 2 restrictors... the throttle stop screw and the plastic restrictor in the end of the baffle. :D

EDIT: There are also baffles further into the muffler but i don't think they were meant to be modified. Someone on here has taken those out too but it was a tough job. Not worth it IMO.

• Matty05

Posted August 04, 2005 - 04:26 PM

The best possible way to remove the baffle is take off the whole exhaust and belt it against a tree then throw it away.

Now replace it with and aftermarket one and you will think what the hell were Yamaha thinking, putting on that poofy muffler in the first place.

• Blue Rocket

Posted August 04, 2005 - 05:44 PM

This is just my opinion but i think that aftermarket exhausts for this bike are a waste of money. This stock system (when the baffle is removed) isn't too bad. I'd rather spend my money on a steering stabilizer, suspension work or even a Rekluse auto clutch. Anything to make your ride easier and more enjoyable. All that money for an extra 2-3 horsepower.. not me. :D
But.. people have different priorities. :D

• Matty05

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:35 PM

This is just my opinion but i think that aftermarket exhausts for this bike are a waste of money. This stock system (when the baffle is removed) isn't too bad. I'd rather spend my money on a steering stabilizer, suspension work or even a Rekluse auto clutch. Anything to make your ride easier and more enjoyable. All that money for an extra 2-3 horsepower.. not me. :D
But.. people have different priorities. :D

I take it you don't have an aftermarket exhaust........... :D
It is not about making more power. It is all about making more usable power.
I got a Procircuit Ti GP system on mine, I don't think it makes more power up top, but it makes a $hit load more bottom and in the mid range,
it pulls like a freight train.

Trust me when I say that the only thing that the stock pipe is good for is keeping it quiet. It is so restricted, even when you take everything off the end of it.

I agree with you, the best thing you can spend your money on is your suspension. Who wants to end their modifying there??? NOT ME!!!

• daveg

Posted January 21, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Tried to remove the inner baffle and appears to be welded in. What's the best way to get it out without destroying the muffler? :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.