WR400/426, good dual sport?

3 replies to this topic
  • flyingboy

Posted March 10, 2001 - 06:41 AM

I am fascinated by the new WR426 and am seriously considering one, or an XR400. I live about 10 miles from some good trails, and there are lots of dirt roads with secret trails out here. The factory dual sports are way too heavy and mild. I just need the bike to get me from trail to trail, and the occasional pitstop to the local Burger King :)

• Bill

Posted March 10, 2001 - 06:56 AM

fly,

Do a search on the user name of Clark Mason. He probably has the trickest WZ420 dual sport in existance. There are several members here that have street legal/dual sport WR's.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 11, 2001 - 02:04 PM

It all depends how much street riding you do. If your a guy that will ride on the street alot with moderate dirt use I would not recommend the WR426, I have one and love it more that I ever thought I would, however Its not a street bike at all, If you go to place where you just want to use the street to access dirt trails then that might be ok. But the DRZ-S Would be an awsome dualsport bike all around. I hate to ride my bike on the street. And to get it totally street legal is a huge task... But if you must.......... Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Lorenze (edited 03-11-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 11, 2001 - 08:35 PM

I have a stree legal 99' WZ400 with Baja Designs kit. I ride it about 25% on the street. The seat is way too hard and the powerband makes it real hard to keep the front tire on the ground. I think it is better than drz-s in most ways if you ride aggressive like I do.Check out the drz forum--it seems like all they talk about is big bore kits and bigger carbs. Maybe it will last longer. Check into legal matters on registering a off highway vehicle first(most important!)in CA it seems impossible to register a 2000 and up WR because title classification- red sticker only!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.