Who has had their Cam Chain Adjuster fail?

8 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 26, 2005 - 05:29 PM

this is only for WR/YZF 250/400/426/450's

Did it fail due to lack of maintenance?
Did you replace due to replacing the cam chain?
Have you never replaced it?

• ripntear

Posted July 26, 2005 - 06:04 PM

Are you talking about the tensioner?

If so, mine is fine on my '01 426.

ripntear

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 26, 2005 - 08:46 PM

I bought my '01 426 new back then and have never even adjusted it. So far so good. What happened with yours?

• MisterMan

Posted July 26, 2005 - 09:26 PM

so far so good, it it does fail, I'll take out insurance on it.....wait about 3 months then it will suddenly become stolen!!! hahah :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skin290

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:04 AM

Mine fell off once! My fault for not torquing enough...

• Anssi

Posted July 28, 2005 - 02:25 AM

I replaced mine a 135 or 140 hours when I replaced the cam chain as well. The old one still seemed fine.

• MNellis

Posted July 28, 2005 - 07:58 PM

I'd be curious why you are asking but unless the spring breaks, there is nothing to fail on the tensionser. The tensioner is under a "compression load" and it would be like a nut/bolt combo failing from pushing on the end. Not gonna happen. While they are not very expensive, I think it's still a waste of money to swap one out as "an insurance policy" against failure.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2005 - 08:09 PM

I have seen it written that there was some weakness in the '03 tensioner, that it was revised and superceded, and that that one year should be replaced. Seems doubtful, but I guess it could be. Mine seemed smooth and solid when I replaced the chain.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 29, 2005 - 05:27 AM

I have seen it written that there was some weakness in the '03 tensioner, that it was revised and superceded, and that that one year should be replaced. Seems doubtful, but I guess it could be. Mine seemed smooth and solid when I replaced the chain.

That is correct and 1 reason I want to know - I should have done a poll on all the blue forums - someone feel free to poll as I could not get it to work!

There seems to be a lot more problems with CRFs and RMZ's.

Some RMZ owners are tightening/adjusting every 3-6 hrs of riding..this seems ridiculous
I am being told this is a weakness in Yamaha's but I have yet to see or hear of 1 fail yet.....
what gives...marketing for manual adjusters???

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.