New Buell Dual Sport

22 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted July 26, 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hey Guys,
What do you think?
Looks heavy - limited use -- gravel roads at most! No real offroading. Center of gravity looks high. Muffler would likely get ripped off pretty quick!

• ponq

Posted July 26, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Clearly more of a BMW GS1200 market filler than anything. I think in that role it can excel.

• roadcam

Posted July 26, 2005 - 02:58 PM

the BUELL is to dual-sport bikes what the Harley is to mopeds ... :applause: :eek:

• captb

Posted July 26, 2005 - 04:53 PM

Should handle just as good as my Blackbird off road.

• Jayzonk

Posted July 26, 2005 - 05:11 PM

There isn't anything legendary about a Buell that would convince me that this is the premiere bike in that market.

• justicedone

Posted July 26, 2005 - 06:55 PM

3 words

...word !

• viggen

Posted July 26, 2005 - 07:00 PM

3 words

...word !

so that's 1 word...what's the other 2? :applause:

• Eric Henion

Posted July 26, 2005 - 07:05 PM

If the fuel is in the frame and the oil is in the swingarm plus the muffler mounted liw then it should hug the asphalt great, but a dual sport HA. Maybe Motard

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:36 AM

lets face it, v twins do not belong in the dirt!

• PowerCell

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:58 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:09 AM

Looks pretty decent in a futuristic kind of way. i would not of course ride one plus who need 1200cc's in the dirt? How bout those handgaurds? any one gonna try to mod those for the pig:D?
and that rear view mirror is super trick, i think i'll show up to a race with that on my bike and seee how long it lasts! it might make it to the end of the bomb run:)
The real issus for a bike like that and the bmw gs1200 is reliability and lets face it Harley Davidson waterpump motors just cant compete with bmw in that catagory,
but if someone gave me one i'd disapear for a few months tooling around the country!

• qadsan

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:11 AM

I think Powercell meant to post the pic of this v-twin :applause:

Posted Image

And let's not forget the Aprilia v-twin dirt bike...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• justicedone

Posted July 27, 2005 - 01:56 PM

Ok...those 2 can get er done in the dirt. Thats easy as pie to tell, but the Buell'y thing just looks WHACK !

• AzMtnThumper

Posted July 27, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Ok...those 2 can get er done in the dirt. Thats easy as pie to tell, but the Buell'y thing just looks WHACK !

:applause: LMAO I have to agree.

• bork

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:33 PM

Wow! major roost I bet!

• Jayzonk

Posted July 27, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Okay, here's a nice clean picture of the Aprilia to drool over:
But why would you make a V-twin? If you're going for more cylinders, wouldn't it make sense to make it an inline 4? It wouldn't weigh any more. In fact, it seems it would weigh less, as most inline four sport bikes weigh less than the V-twin ones, on a cc per cc basis. And I don't think the counterbalancing effect of the second cylinder/piston is particularly helpful. So why not go straigh to a four?? Width?

• justicedone

Posted July 27, 2005 - 10:02 PM

I would think center of gravity and rider balance would rule out an Inline 4, just imagine adding a huge radiator on the front as well. A V-Twin would drop deeper and tighter into the sweet spot in the frame and make much cleaner geometry, and handling.

It sure would be nice to have the power of a sportbike inline 4, in a offroad bike at times...but we would just be bug food if that really happened, right?

Just look at the monster KTM Baja bike that hits 140+mph and launches like a missle.

Must be nice.

• bosshog

Posted July 28, 2005 - 01:22 PM

can you imagine cleaning the belt drive after a dirt run?

• ghoti

Posted July 29, 2005 - 04:49 AM

Didn't Yamaha run a v-twin in the Paris-Dakkar?

• billygoat

Posted July 29, 2005 - 07:29 AM

A belt drive for the dirt? Didn't Harley learn anything from cruisers? The first rock that gets between the belt and pulley will put a nice hole in the belt and you'll be bummin' sittin' on the side of the road.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.