Quick Jetting Question 05WR450

22 replies to this topic
  • WGP

Posted July 26, 2005 - 06:34 AM

A quick snap on the throttle and it bogs, which jetting circuit is this? Needle Postion?
Once it hits, blast off through all the gears :applause: :eek:

• chipwich

Posted July 26, 2005 - 08:00 AM

Search this forum for leak jet. That's probably what you are looking for.

• woody12

Posted July 26, 2005 - 08:31 AM

just so i dont have to open another thread i live on vancouver island so my ridng varies from sea level to about 5000ft. my bike seems to be running lean down at sea level but runs fine up in the alpine. would it be better to run it rich so it runs normal down low and rich up high or is it better to run a little on the lean side.

• WGP

Posted July 26, 2005 - 09:15 AM

Leak Jet, I don't think so...... Anybody else

• clark4131

Posted July 26, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Where do you do most of your riding? If it varies too much, jet for 2500' and adjust things via the fuel screw as you climb or descend...SC

• WGP

Posted July 26, 2005 - 12:09 PM

Ok, Leak Jet maybe , bottom line is Jetting is perfect to me, besides the bog with the quick snap of the throttle.

What circuit controls 0-1/4 throttle, needle right?

Steve, you mentioned in a previous post that zero leak and disconnecting tps cured this?

• clark4131

Posted July 26, 2005 - 01:24 PM

The #0 leak did not cure it for me, and I've since reconnected my TPS. I've working on my hot weather jetting right now. I'm currently running 168/48/40/Red #5 with an open airbox, FMF system and free mods. I'm going to Red #4 and a 50 Leak Jet the next time I ride. I'm at 5000'-6250' with temps in the high 80's and 90's. I rode two days ago in 95 degrees and I could tell I was running too rich. I rode this morning in the high 70's and it was just about spot on. I'm calculating that leaning my mix in the needle and leak jet will get me where I need to be in the hot weather...SC

• WGP

Posted July 26, 2005 - 02:16 PM

I'm running almost the same, 165/48pj/40L/Red #5 at 5500-6500'

It rips, I just want to get rid of the Throttle Snap Bog (TSB)

• clark4131

Posted July 26, 2005 - 03:47 PM

I've been told by a local dealer that a 50 leak with a Quickshot will do wonders for an '05 in the 5000' range. That's what they've been putting in their bikes before they leave the showroom. I'm going to do it one step at a time however...first the #50 and then the Quickshot...SC

• bg10459

Posted July 26, 2005 - 04:13 PM

I'm currently running Red #5, 165 mj, 45 pj, 52 lj, yz exhaust and free mods at sea level to 2500', 80 to 100, high humidity. I had the same bog while testing on the street, and it was worse with the 40 lj and the 70 lj. I had the least bog with the 52, but it was still there. I tried adjusting the AP squirt, but I wasn't hitting the slide at any setting. I think I was expecting too much from the throttle. I'm not sure you can cure the bog when you whack the throttle. I then added the quickshot and in real world conditions (I rode this weekend :applause: ) I could not reproduce the bog, the bike kicked a$$.
Bottom line, Pilot screw and pilot jet is about 0 to 1/4 throttle. Needle is about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and main jet is about 1/2 to full throttle. All circuits overlap somewhat. The leak jet is for quick increase in throttle position, so I would look there for your problem. Also check your AP squirt. Search the forums, you'll find a wealth of info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SpeedBlitz

Posted July 27, 2005 - 05:36 AM

SC, I'm glad to hear you are making progress with your jetting!!! Are you still married????!!!

BTW, what PAJ are you running with your 48 pilot? 100?

• WGP

Posted July 27, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Thanks, thats what I was looking for :applause:

• clark4131

Posted July 27, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Yep, things are looking up. Last night I had some time since both kids fell asleep early and the wife was having a powwow with her girlfriends. So, I put in the #50 and went to Red #4. I decided to install the Quickshot as well since I had it all apart. I may get to go for a quick ride today to check it out, but I have a good feeling about it. I'll report back...SC

• WGP

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:17 AM

It seems the Leak Jet may be the problem, I have a 40 in, but now with the hot weather it is to small.
What a pain in the ass it is to do jet changes on this bike.
I have been disconnecting throttle cables, disconnecting TPS, losening the air boots and turning to the side, what a pain, especially when you need to change your jetting so often.
I think they should re-design the carb or location of the carb so you can switch out jets in minutes.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:30 AM

WGP, looking at the '06 YZF, it might be harder to change jets on the next generation WR instead of easier, especially that we have to contend with the added e-start that the YZF boys don't.

• WGP

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:47 AM

The new KTM's look super easy and they have e-start.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:12 AM

SC, what PAJ are you running? 100?

• clark4131

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:16 AM

I went back to the stock #80 PAJ, I have a #100 which I may try later...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:32 PM

It seems the Leak Jet may be the problem, I have a 40 in, but now with the hot weather it is to small.
What a pain in the ass it is to do jet changes on this bike.
I have been disconnecting throttle cables, disconnecting TPS, losening the air boots and turning to the side, what a pain, especially when you need to change your jetting so often.
I think they should re-design the carb or location of the carb so you can switch out jets in minutes.

Ha Ha ! :p You think it is a pain on our bikes! Wait to you see the 06 YZ450 with the aluminum frame you cannot take the carb off without pulling the air box and subframe off. :) Forget about rotating it as well! :applause: I cant wait for fuel injection! :eek:

• SpeedBlitz

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:56 PM

I'm with Indy on that one. Can't wait for EFI. Fingers crossed for 2007!! Had a quick look at the 2006 Raptor 700 quad with EFI. Looking forwarding to seeing how the quad guys make out with it. I hope this is a sign of things to come on dirt bikes. I figure I'll run my WR until something comes out with EFI. I'm basically waiting for EFI for my next bike. Which ever comes for first, KTM 950 (or 990) Adventure S with EFI or WR450 with EFI. I guess I have to wait and see!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.