Starter Just'a Spinning

11 replies to this topic
  • Myself

Posted July 26, 2005 - 04:07 AM

I just dropped by from the 250F side as during my search it looks like the WR450's seem to have more starter problems than the WR250s.

My starter is just spinning without turning the engine over at all. This happend after I tried starting the bike in gear after a stall on the trail. I felt and heard quite the clank down there somewhere and now it just free wheels.

I opened up the side case thinking I would find a busted gear or something but nothing. The starter motor and the gear shaft at the end is turning for sure. I now have two thoughts that I thought I would run by you guys before I tear into it further or go the the shop with it:

1. Would a low battery cause this? I am reading 12.5V on the battery. I know some car starters engae a gear or something via a solenoid but not sure if bikes have the same type of thing.

2. My other thought is the starter clutch. The starter is spinning but is not engaging the engine. I figure this part mates the starter to turnover the engine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. At 5' 6" I love that button.

• berg

Posted July 26, 2005 - 07:40 AM

sorry to hear of your misfortune, but your voltage at 12.5 is fine and would not free wheel from low voltage. I would start with the started clutch when those break or wear out the starter will free spin and not engage.

good luck

Phil

• StreetbikePimp

Posted July 26, 2005 - 08:41 AM

It's probaly the starter clutch located behind the flywheel.

When you inspect it, it should only freespin in one direction and grap the other direction.

• Myself

Posted July 27, 2005 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for the confirmation of the starter gear theory. I will get into the engine a bit deeper this weekend and check it out. Any idea what a starter clutch is worth?

• gregwr450f

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:02 AM

Just because the battery reads at 12.5 does not mean it's still good, you have to measure the "cranking amps" I suggest you do that before you pull anything apart.

• new2blu

Posted July 27, 2005 - 04:15 AM

I just dropped by from the 250F side as during my search it looks like the WR450's seem to have more starter problems than the WR250s.

My starter is just spinning without turning the engine over at all. This happend after I tried starting the bike in gear after a stall on the trail. I felt and heard quite the clank down there somewhere and now it just free wheels.

I opened up the side case thinking I would find a busted gear or something but nothing. The starter motor and the gear shaft at the end is turning for sure. I now have two thoughts that I thought I would run by you guys before I tear into it further or go the the shop with it:

1. Would a low battery cause this? I am reading 12.5V on the battery. I know some car starters engae a gear or something via a solenoid but not sure if bikes have the same type of thing.

2. My other thought is the starter clutch. The starter is spinning but is not engaging the engine. I figure this part mates the starter to turnover the engine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. At 5' 6" I love that button.

The loud clank that you hear could have damaged the starter clutch and/or the woodruff key which keeps the flywheel from spinning on the crank.
If it does turnout to be the woodruff key I would recommend doing the starter upgrade (2003 WR450F).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Myself

Posted July 27, 2005 - 05:07 AM

If the woodruff key was broken would the bike still run? It fires up just fine with the kick start and runs fine.
Do these starters slide the bendex (I think thats what you call it) out to engage the starter gear and then go back in after the bike is running?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted July 27, 2005 - 06:51 AM

If the woodruff key was broken would the bike still run? It fires up just fine with the kick start and runs fine.
Do these starters slide the bendex (I think thats what you call it) out to engage the starter gear and then go back in after the bike is running?

If your bike starts up when you kick it, then your woodruff key is fine. When my woodruff key went out, it was only slightly bent vs. being completely sheared, and that bent key was caused just enough of a misalignment that my bike would not start at all. The alignment of your flywheel is that critical. So as I said, if your bike starts, your key is fine.

The other question: the starter is always engaged with the gears. It does not move in and out. That's why you have a starter gear/clutch. The starter clutch grabs in one direction (when your starter is cranking over the motor) and freespins in the other direction (when your motor is spinning faster then your starter). Your starter clutch is most likely spinning in both directions.

• Myself

Posted July 27, 2005 - 09:18 AM

All of my questions have been answered - into the engine I go to look at my starter clutch. After last weekend's rainy clay race I swore I would never, ever race again without an electric starter.

I'll let you know how it turns out. It's funny how the 250s have next to no problems with the e-start and the 450 seem to have a bunch.

• Joe_P

Posted July 28, 2005 - 06:19 AM

I have an '03 WR450 and I've come to the conclusion that I have a starter clutch issue, especially after reading this thread. Beware that you need a flywheel puller/rotor puller in order to get to the starter clutch. I've been having troubles removing my flywheel. On my first attempt, I managed to pull the tool off the threads of the crank. Luckily, I didn't ruin the threads. I'm now attempting to remove the flywheel/rotor for the second time and I'm running into trouble again. I read in another post that you may need to use heat to get the flywheel off and to also leave the nut on the crank in order to prevent any mushrooming of the crank end. If anyone else has some helpful hints, please post.

Also, do you think the '04 upgrade is worth the money? If the starter clutch is $300 then I can see doing the upgrade. If the clutch is $100, then I can see possibly just replacing the broken part.

Thanks,
Joe

• billygoat

Posted July 28, 2005 - 06:26 AM

I've had a problem on several of my bikes where junk gets into the jackshaft of the starter motor and causes the problem you describe. Clean the jackshaft gear assembly so it snaps back smoothly. Tapping on the motor housing is the first thing to do. Second is remove the starter motor and see if you can run it using the bike's controls to see if the jackshaft is moving. I would do this before ruining your crankshaft.

• anvilair

Posted July 28, 2005 - 06:33 AM

I had this exact problem with my street bke. 1200 Suzuki Bandit. Try just tightening the bolt at the center of the starter clutch before tearing everything apart. That is all it was on my Bandit. Works great now!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.