Need D.o.t Tires For Dual Sported Xr650r

9 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted July 25, 2005 - 07:07 PM

I have spent the last hour or two reading the forum on this subject matter... I still don't have an answer! I have an XR650R that i plan to make street legal. I Need D.O.T. tires that I can use up to 3-5x per week utilizing 30 freeway/feeder miles commute to work. I do the ocassional trail riding and off road adventures on the weekends. So far, KENDA K270, KENDA K760, AND DUNLOP D606 are my choices. Not to mention the MAXXIS, TW'S, ETC...

• irondude

Posted July 25, 2005 - 07:53 PM

dont forget the metzler Karoo, michelin Desert, michelin Baja, or the IRC stuff....

• Toolmaker

Posted July 26, 2005 - 05:29 AM

I got mt21 Pirelli's ,but the front tire is a 80 90 21 and it looks to small for the rim . I haven't ridden it yet , do you guys think I should get a larger size ? I ride back and forth to work , single track in Michigan , dirt roads, etc

• sportbiker929

Posted July 26, 2005 - 06:11 AM

I have used the Kenda 760's and they are the worst handleing tire that I have ever used. Extremely heavy. I like the adventure touring tires from Avon and pirelli.

• 4Takt

Posted July 26, 2005 - 11:47 AM

I put a D606 on my XR and find it o.k. at best. It actually sticks pretty well on pavement, but it doesn't last any longer than other tires I tried and it completely let me down in the sand where it is plain awful. It's alright on harder ground.

4Takt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desmo900

Posted July 26, 2005 - 11:49 AM

I agree, the Kenda's are junk.. I have them front and rear right now, and have yet to find any dirt that they dont slide around on. Im gonna try the Maxis IT I've heard nothing but good things about them, and the price is right too.

• cholwerk

Posted July 26, 2005 - 02:30 PM

Any one use the Bridgestone Trailwings off of the XR650L? I have heard good thing about them....but then again I have also heard good things about modern pop music...

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 27, 2005 - 08:19 AM

The deathwings are moderately good on pavement, not quite so good on fire-roads, and the news gets worse after that...

D

• ghoti

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:07 PM

I agree, the Kenda's are junk.. I have them front and rear right now, and have yet to find any dirt that they dont slide around on. Im gonna try the Maxis IT I've heard nothing but good things about them, and the price is right too.

Are you talking about the 760's? I have the 270's on my L and don't care for the on the road. The profile on the front is too triangulated IMO. It always feels like I'm going to loose the front in a corner. I never have, but it feels like it. Pretty good wear tho and the price is right. Just okay offroad too. Hey...these tires fit my bikes image perfectly :applause:

• Moredesert

Posted July 27, 2005 - 02:10 PM

I ran a Karoo on the rear once and worked well on the street. When I took it for a Death Valley ride it would break loose in the (Dirt) turns but held as long as I kept the power down. The Karoo was cheap but didn't last more than 350 miles. I ran 100 miles on the street and 250 miles on the dirt it was gone. I ran a 250 mile loop in 6 hours WFO most of the time and as the day went on my top speed went down do to wheel spin.

I can get 1000 miles on a Michelin Baja no problem and it holds great but is a little loud on the hi-way.

Right now I'm running Avon gripsters for the street but I'm sure they are real weak in the dirt. For dual sport rides I run a Baja rear and a D606 on the front. I haven't tried the others just because of the price or availability. I just stuck with what works and what I can on sale. :applause:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.