YZ450F for woods racing? too much?

26 replies to this topic
  • ripntear

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:24 AM

What year is the 300? Is it stock?
Until you sell it, you might try adjusting the powervalve on it so that it doesn't open up as quickly. That will smooth out the power delivery alot. Look in your owners manual and it will give you instructions on how to do this.

ripntear

• gmoss357

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:33 AM

What year is the 300? Is it stock?
Until you sell it, you might try adjusting the powervalve on it so that it doesn't open up as quickly. That will smooth out the power delivery alot. Look in your owners manual and it will give you instructions on how to do this.

ripntear

It is stock and it is an 04. Which way do I turn it to back it off, out or in? No matter though, I still can't deal with the suspension. Some people like it harsh, and are fast with it. I feel like I'm going to get tossed into the trees. I guess I am a little paranoid about getting hurt. Oh well.

• TexN343

Posted July 27, 2005 - 11:35 AM

I use my 04 yz450f for woods racing with the rekluse installed and love it. Get the suspension set up for you because if you don't headshake can be a problem at high speeds. Love my bike wouldn't trade it for the world. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ripntear

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:32 PM

ncmountainman,

My point exactly.
That's one hell of a jump! Going from a WR250F to a 300EXC. I can see why he wouldn't be able to ride it as fast.

I think overall, it will be the torque from the 450 that will keep him from increasing his speed in the WOODS.

Based on my own experience, the YZ450 jump is not going to allow him to ride any faster than he or your buddy can ride their 300EXC in the WOODS.

And I agree that the 300 may make it seem you are going faster because it's a handfull to ride......but so is a 450.

ripntear

• gmoss357

Posted July 27, 2005 - 12:52 PM

ncmountainman,

My point exactly.
That's one hell of a jump! Going from a WR250F to a 300EXC. I can see why he wouldn't be able to ride it as fast.

I think overall, it will be the torque from the 450 that will keep him from increasing his speed in the WOODS.

Based on my own experience, the YZ450 jump is not going to allow him to ride any faster than he or your buddy can ride their 300EXC in the WOODS.

And I agree that the 300 may make it seem you are going faster because it's a handfull to ride......but so is a 450.

ripntear

My thought is this, me and a couple of guys I race with are looking at the 450 because we are having to run the piss out of our 250's to stay competitive and ride at our abilities. The 450 won't have to work as hard to achieve the same performance and we will pick up speed when we need it.

• ripntear

Posted July 27, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Since the title of this thread is "YZ450F for woods racing? too much?"
you got several opinions and it's up to you to make that decision.

I love my '01 426 and hope someday I can ride it as well as I rode my 300's.

ripntear

• markit

Posted July 27, 2005 - 02:20 PM

Since the title of this thread is "YZ450F for woods racing? too much?"
you got several opinions and it's up to you to make that decision.

I love my '01 426 and hope someday I can ride it as well as I rode my 300's.

ripntear

You wont till you learn to how to ridea four stroke (if you think your faster on the 300) you have not yet not a good or bad thing just some cant seam to make the change. The 450 YZ out of the box is a good off road bike and with the suspension moads (all thats needed) is great, I have 99 YZ400f
Pro circuit with factory suspension and havnt doen anything to the suspension and it is great in the woods (im over 200lb fast B rider) I race a KTM450exc and find that even the 99 YZ is kind of like a sleeper when you get in a slight opning and get on the gas headed for the next conner your there a lot sooner (it seams) than on the KTM.LOL Make sure the parts are interchangable between the 250 and the 450 (i dont think they are) but could be wrong. Good luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.