Smoking problem?

4 replies to this topic
  • Buenodude

Posted July 24, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Have a 2000 XR650L - bought it for $2150 - 12500 miles. Smoked when I bought it - so thought it might need new valve guides, seals, etc. Spent $500 having XR's Only do thre head and it runs great. But - it's hard to start cold and when it starts - it smokes. Lasts about 3 minutes until it warms up and then it's fine. When I bought it the shop told me they replaced the piston - so when i stripped it down I checked the piston and rings out. Piston and rings looked OK - but cylinder looked weird, So - I honed the cylinder and threw the piston and rings back in.

I have about 250 miles on it now- runs great. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the smoking problem?

Thanks - Buenodude

• roadcam

Posted July 24, 2005 - 08:06 PM

I suspect the piston rings hadn't 'seated' yet ...also, if running synthetic oil in a brand-new rebuild, sometimes that delays ring-seating ... if that's what the culprit was, you should be good to go now :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIG RED

Posted July 24, 2005 - 08:29 PM

its your rings! i've had a couple of air cooled hondas that did the same thing, they still seem to last forever even if they smoke. i wouldn't worry about it until your in there next time.

• targetdrone

Posted July 24, 2005 - 10:02 PM

Smoking upon starting and clearing up immediately is usually a valve seal leaking. Smoking until warm is often a sign of rings not seated. Smoking after it is warm when you gas it is a sign of worn rings. Gassing it and having slow acceleration is a sign you are riding a Honda :applause:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 25, 2005 - 03:31 PM

i dont have that problem. hope this helps

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.