Broken Teeth CS

7 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:30 PM

I broke two teeth on my countershaft sprocket today. I'm just wondering what typically causes this to happen or was it just a faulty part? The chain and sprockets where replaced at the same time probably three months ago.

CS Renthal 14T
Rear Sprocket Ironman 51
DID X-Ring

• johnmeasures

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:39 PM

Could have got a small tough stone/pebble dragged into the teeth

• DPW

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Could have got a small tough stone/pebble dragged into the teeth

I thought about that, but it was two teeth with three teeth between them.

• Anssi

Posted July 24, 2005 - 01:11 PM

How much riding time(hours) do the chain and sprockets have on them and what have the conditions been like? In what shape are the rear sprocket and the chain (if you can, remove the chain and roll through it to see if there is any binding) itself?

If they are pretty much fine, I have to say that kind of damage sounds pretty weird. Steel(I suppose the Ironman is one of these) typically wear out later than front sprockets, aluminium rear sprockets faster). Mud wears out chains and sprockets like all get out (really, about 5 times as fast).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted July 24, 2005 - 02:21 PM

it happened because you showed that bike no mercy today! :applause::D

• johnmeasures

Posted July 24, 2005 - 02:25 PM

it was two teeth with three teeth between them.

I've never had this pattern of breakage. I usually see broken teeth next to each other. As it was an upmarket chain its less likely the chain could have locked-up like an inferior one might have. Maybe the sprocket had a defect.

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Maybe the sprocket had a defect.

That's what I will guess.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted July 24, 2005 - 03:43 PM

maybe the sprocket was warped? and the chain running on the warped teeth broke them off.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.