tips for replacing rim?

4 replies to this topic
  • team claw

Posted July 24, 2005 - 07:47 AM

I've got a rear Excel rim that is starting to look pretty used from rock dings and tire changes. I want to order a new rim, reusing the OEM spokes and hub.

I don't think re-spoking the rim will be real difficult but I am concerned about balance and alignment as the spokes get their final tightening. Has anyone got advice about what sequence to thread the spokes and the order in which the spokes should be tightened? Techniques for checking alignment and balance? :applause:

Thanks in advance.

• 5valve

Posted July 24, 2005 - 09:26 AM

If rim shakes good when riding and is unrecoverable by spoke alignment, and those hits are really bad?

I straightened my rear, that was hit by jumping on railroad track, with a big hammer and a few fine centered hits

before you start dismantling, make sure, all the spokes can be loosened to avoid surprises of not having new ones in reserve

if you can anyhow fix rim to look acceptable again, I recomment eloxation..process for colouring the aluminium..black, gold, blue EXCELs..

if still only new rim is the case, Id take it to the shop since it cant be that expensive to mount, but if you want to do it yourself, as first I recommend you to take a few closeup photos, just for the feeling of which spoke goes where, and than there is a slow process of evenly tightening the spokes, first in the criss cross pattern, to ensure the roundness
of course it is nice to have a wheel stand and fixed-to-the-stand gauge that helps you to fine tune the rim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • team claw

Posted July 24, 2005 - 11:57 AM

Rim functions fine........it's all cosmetic. I thought about taking it to a shop to be done right but I'm not convinced it would be cheap. Thanks for the input.

• RichBaker

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:40 PM

wire tie spokes at each crossing, remove nipples, remove hub/spokes from rim, set hub/spokes into new rim with same orientation in respect to valve stem and rimlock holes as they were in the old rim, insert spokes in their holes and reinstall nipples....that's how I do mine. Good luck, and it's prob'ly easier to take it to a shop and have them center and tension the spokes, it does take some experience to get it trued ...

• firezwr426

Posted July 24, 2005 - 01:12 PM

link to another link.....
some good info...
http://www.thumperta...71&parentpage=8

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.