Building the "Ultimate" 650L?

9 replies to this topic
  • rokklym

Posted July 22, 2005 - 04:53 PM

What mods would you do to turn the XR650L into the best bike it could be, without getting a 650R and putting 650L stickers on it :applause:
On mine, I've done alot of stuff to it, but haven't touched the motor or suspension.
Here is my list so far.
2002 XR650L:
Clarke 4.7 gallon tank
Pro Moto Billet Rack
Tag Metals X5 CR 2-hi bend bars
Moose brush guards
Pro grip 792 grips, aftermarket mirrors
14-48 gearing with parts unlimited X ring chain
Dunlop D606's
Moose heavy duty tubes
Moose aluminum bash guard
Acerbis taillight ( junk )
UNI filter
Moose roll chart holder
Ram mount & Magellen Meridian Gold GPS
Moose Dual Sport fender bag
Dirt bike gear number plate bag.
Thats all I can think of now..

Parts on my ultimate list are
W.E.R. or Scotts steering dampner
Fork brace
Aftermarket Seat
Oil cooler?

What else is there? What can you do to the motor?
is there a big bore kit and cam? New carb? And what about that suspension?

Whats on your list, or what suggestions do you have. I want this bike to remain reliable, but have POWER!

• BWB63

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:11 PM

Weisco 10.25:1 Piston, Stage two cam, FCR 41mm carburetor, that will give you 50hp to the rear wheel. 12hp gain! Heavy duty clutch springs, shock and fork springs for your weight, You need to get an idea of how much air you will/can/might get and then have a talk with a suspension guy to get a setup on the valving.

• rokklym

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hmm..I forgot about exhaust. Is there any good full systems or is a slip on the way to go. I want to be able to meet the noise requirements, but have that cool thumper sound. For slip ons I was thinking about the Supertrap ISD2, mainly because its cheap and tuneable.

• rokklym

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:41 PM

Weisco 10.25:1 Piston, Stage two cam, FCR 41mm carburetor, that will give you 50hp to the rear wheel. 12hp gain! Heavy duty clutch springs, shock and fork springs for your weight, You need to get an idea of how much air you will/can/might get and then have a talk with a suspension guy to get a setup on the valving.

50hp, yeah, thats what I'm talking about! I'll have to go talk to the local motor guru and see what he thinks.
I'm not planning on getting air, but I am planning on riding fast on rocky trails, thats what I need the suspension for.

• roadcam

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:58 PM

Hmm..I forgot about exhaust. Is there any good full systems or is a slip on the way to go. I want to be able to meet the noise requirements, but have that cool thumper sound. For slip ons I was thinking about the Supertrap ISD2, mainly because its cheap and tuneable.

the Supertrapp IDS2 with the quiet core seems to be about the same noise level as my stock pipe ... not tested as such, but thats what my ear says .. also, very good construction, I was impressed ... not that big a difference in HP gains on the tests I've read, but WAY cheaper than the ones that topped the list :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rokklym

Posted July 22, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Anyone know of a website where I can look at the motor parts like the cam and Carb?

• justicedone

Posted July 22, 2005 - 10:14 PM

I would reccomend a White Bros E Series Pipe, and add Uni Filter while also drilling slide and jetting for your altitude...very strong mod for power.

• Rover31

Posted July 22, 2005 - 10:33 PM

That and more is my ride excat. Start with the susp. 1st get a fork brace then revalve, oil & spring front & rear. Then move to the motor, oh after the basic uncorking of course!
Travis

Oh the Big Bore is Sooooo nice!!!

• goblin127

Posted July 23, 2005 - 06:38 AM

If you were to do the motor mods piston etc I think you would w ant to do more than just put a slipon you would want an entire system.

• frankstr

Posted July 23, 2005 - 07:03 AM

How about a Edelbrock carb, A pumper carb would really make a difference :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.